Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Iowa and New Orleans

Doesn't it make you wonder............

Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding their telethons these days, asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels In Chicago?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters who steal high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

Where is the hysterical media coverage, 24/7, complete with reports of cannibalism?

Where are the people who would declare that George Bush hates white, rural people?

How come in 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?

Have you figured it out ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iowa and New Orleans
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iowa and New Orleans
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's an interesting take on it all.

In reply to: Iowa and New Orleans

I think the writer tries to gloss over some of the bad, but in spite of that he has some good points which can be extracted for comparison too.

http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=677&Itemid=1

Racists like Rush Limbaugh attempt to contrast the "supposedly good and decent" white people of the flooded upper Mississippi River basin with the "presumably evil, lazy and violent folks of New Orleans, who we are told, did nothing but foment criminality" when disaster struck their city. Limbaugh's belief - shared by millions who would never speak publicly - is that whites are by nature more self-sufficient than Blacks. But the figures show that flood-struck Iowans, for example, are at least as dependent on welfare and government subsidy as their darker counterparts in pre-Katrina New Orleans.

Among the differences that should be readily apparent to almost anyone, consider:

In New Orleans, residents were kept from escaping, literally forced back into the city by armed police from a neighboring community. Nothing like this has happened in Iowa.

In New Orleans, relief agencies like the Red Cross were prohibited from entering the city, thanks to an order from the Department of Homeland Security, which feared that the provision of relief would delay evacuation. In other words, the suffering was heightened deliberately by government order, as noted on the Red Cross website, as early as September 2, 2005. Nothing like this has happened in Iowa.

In New Orleans, those stuck in the flood zone (tens of thousands in all) were herded into the Superdome and Convention Center, where there was no air conditioning (at the hottest time of the year in that city), no food, and little or no water. When those who were trapped (and who would wait for three full days before any serious assistance arrived) tried to get to the food in the pantries of the Convention Center (food that would have gone bad or been written off anyway), they were met by guns, pointed at them by members of the National Guard, who warned them to "step away from the food or we'll blow your ******* heads off." Nothing like this has happened in Iowa. (much more at article)

Collapse -
Nice slander effort

In reply to: Here's an interesting take on it all.

Are those Rush's quotes?
Or are they based on the someone elses prejudices?

Please notice in this post of the blog from the authors own blog, those quotes aren't quoted !!!!!

http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/using-disaster-spread-racism

Whoever editorialized on the blackagenda website, seems to have an AGENDA !!!!

Shocking !! more bad reporting

Collapse -
I don't see the correlation at all

The Iowa (and don't leave out Missouri) flooding was/is an equal opportunity event, and impacted known flood plains that were and were not protected by levees which held in some cases and did not in others. They were reinforced by volunteer townspeople filling and placing sandbags, and in some cases the National Guard was called in the help.

Some of the towns flooded for the first time in known history.

Iowa and Missouri did not destroy any wetlands. Some towns and cities built levees, some did not. It was their individual decisions. as I understand it. None of those levees were built to contain a large lake.

Towns, some of which later grew into cities, were born along rivers due to river commerce. And whoever wrote the questions didn't know spit about river bottom land being the best farm land, so not a draw for those looking to just eke out a living as suggested.

FEMA trailers provided to Katrina victims gave off formaldehyde.

After the TN tornadoes, victims here were leery of the FEMA trailers. They finally provided some that were OK.

The ones provided for the upper midwest were OK.

Again, I see no similarities between the two events. Rich and poor were equally victimized in Iowa and Missouri.

Those of any financial status who had homeowners insurance but did not live on a flood plain, and whose property had not flooded in 100 years, so did not have flood insurance, were out of luck, so lost everything. The great equalizer.

The only hate I see is the selected Hollywood actor ones.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I see some...

In reply to: I don't see the correlation at all

I see some similarities. One thing I don't see as much of is people saying it shouldn't be rebuilt.
After the flood of 1927, the southern stretch of the river was ordered to have levees designed by the Corps of Engineers. The northern stretch of the river kept building their own.
After the last devastating flood in the Midwest 15 years ago, a committee of experts commissioned by the administration of President Bill Clinton issued a 272-page report that recommended a more uniform approach to managing rising waters along the Mississippi and its tributaries, including giving the principal responsibility for many of the levees to the Army Corps of Engineers.
But the committee chairman, Gerald Galloway Jr., a former brigadier general with the Corps of Engineers, said in an interview that few broad changes were made once the floodwaters of 1993 receded and were forgotten.
With those FEMA trailers in the case of NOLA, they were built by Pilgrim International Inc., Gulf Stream, Keystone RV Inc., and Forest River Inc. They are all based in northern Indiana. More than half the tested trailers made by Gulf Stream, Pilgrim and Keystone ? and 44% of Forest River trailers ? had formaldehyde levels higher than those the Environmental Protection Agency has linked to health problems. A lot of the problem appears to have been with the plywood used in building them.
I wonder about the trailers that those companies built for their normal market. Bear in mind, normally people didn't use such trailers as their sole residence for years at a time.
I'm not sure about where you were going with the lake levees. The lake above NOLA and the Mississippi River are two separate animals. The lake is about 15 feet deep, and does not tend to try to move its location. The river is deeper, and tends to try to change its course.
One thing I'll say about the NOLA situation is that if I'd never been there and watched the TV coverage I might think that NOLA was only the lower Ninth Ward. At least, finally the media got around to talking about places like St. Bernard Parrish.

Collapse -
Have I figured it iut? Yes and no.

Yes: Folks here in the Midwest are less likely - irrespective of race - to go whining to the media about the inadequacies of government. Furthermore, folks here are more likely to try and pick up the pieces and get on with their lives than the people of New Orleans, where dependence on government seems to me to have been bred into the population. That said, I have noticed some very Katrina-like whining and moaning in some of the afflicted areas in Indianapolis where the population of all races seems to have contracted Government Dependency Syndrome en masse.

No: FEMA learned from Katrina. Its response, as well as the response of the Red Cross and other agencies, was much faster and more effective (I have been visited by THREE FEMA reps asking if I needed help; I assured them that what I really needed was for them to better coordinate their canvassing). The governments of the affected cities, towns and counties here in Indiana at least displayed none of the paralysis that afflicted the response to Katrina in New Orleans; a factor of not having NO's endemic governmental corruption, perhaps?

Frankly, Mac, I think that if you wanted to, you could have drawn the same comparison between New Orleans and the areas on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, which actually got the full force of Katrina; those areas are much further on the way to full recovery than is New Orleans.

Collapse -
In complete agreement

In reply to: Have I figured it iut? Yes and no.

Katrina was turned into more of a political opportunity than one to show unity, compassion and resolve in overcoming the damage and pain caused by this disaster. More energy was spent in showcasing alleged government failures than in offering physical and psychological support. The long term affects of that wasted effort will outlast those of the storm.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.