TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

IOS Devices as Learning Remotes?

by anotherhappyday1 / February 18, 2013 7:45 AM PST

I am looking for a reliable app or system that will allow any IOS device (Iphone, Ipad etc) .to work like a Logitech Harmony One Remote in making activities ( Watch TV, Watch DVD, etc.) for all my home theater equipment..
Any recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IOS Devices as Learning Remotes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IOS Devices as Learning Remotes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
reliable? None. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 8:45 AM PST

Because there are a few standards in the IR base frequency there is no known reliable app or method to cover all the units. There are apps in the app store and those add on IR Blasters but if you want reliable, this isn't the way to go.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Ultimate Remote
by TheGeekMan / February 18, 2013 9:31 AM PST

Hi,

maybe I am not an expert, and I am definitely not going to argue with R. Proffitt, but I simply hate when the replies are not especially useful. It's always been the easiest answer that sth can not be done. However You ask us for any recommendations and actually there are dozens of working systems and applications out there. It might be worth giving them a try.

These are the examples:

Griffin Beacon Universal Remote Control
This is a small accessory that connects to your iPhone over Bluetooth and to your various A/V devices over infra-red, and it pairs with the free Dijit Universal Remote control app, which has a built-in library of continuously updated device codes as well as a learning feature for any devices that aren't supported. The advantage of the Griffin system is that you can use one remote for various devices; the disadvantage is that it doesn't work over Wi-Fi like the other apps, so you need to be within line of sight.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/beacon

other:
http://l5remote.com/
http://www.newpotatotech.com/FLPR/flpr.html

Collapse -
They do not compare to the Harmony, unfortunately
by Pepe7 / February 18, 2013 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Ultimate Remote

Perhaps someday they will, but not now.

The Beacon shows the most promise IME and O.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.