HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Iomega LS-120

by joewallnj / November 22, 2005 4:22 AM PST

My current system is Dell xps professional using Windows XP 120GB HD with CD drive and DVD writer. Previously I was using Windows 95B with an internal and external Iomega ls-120 floppy drive. I have old files on LS-120 floppies (120 Megabyte) that I want to retrieve. I have discovered that XP will not allow me to install drivers for my external LS-120 drive. I do have the install disk. Iomega no longer supports ls-120. Has anybody else had this problem and is there a way to get around it? Is there some way that I can take the hard drive from my old computer and attach it some how to my current computer and use it to access the LS120 drive and then transfer the files to my new computer's hard drive? Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iomega LS-120
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iomega LS-120
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I didn't have to install drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: Iomega LS-120

The LS-120 internal just worked. Did you try that?

What external model? If USB, plug it in and maybe it will also "just work."

Bob

Collapse -
Iomega LS-120
by joewallnj / November 22, 2005 5:52 AM PST

Thanks for your help.
When I got my computer from Gateway I bought it with and internal LS120 drive rather than a zip drive. Later I purchased an external portable LS120 drive by Iomega which I used when I was away from my home desktop, like at work. It is a great drive.
I did plug in the external drive and it would not work with XP; I did not try the internal drive. I will have to try that. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks for the suggestion. I am assuming that you also have Windows XP--yes?

Collapse -
Small details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Iomega LS-120

You didn't share if you had the USB version. The parallel version is dead for XP.

Once you get done, look at those 1GB memory keys. Very nice.

Bob

Collapse -
LS-120
by joewallnj / November 22, 2005 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Small details.

I tried to see if both would work. No such luck.
I still have my old computer but the monitor is dead. I will have to get a used monitor and work with my old computer. I do have a CD writer on that system that I can write files to and then be able to use the CDs with today's generation of computers.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
I feel at a loss here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: LS-120

You never shared what LS-120's you had. I can't help.

Sorry,

Bob

Collapse -
Imation LS120
by joewallnj / November 23, 2005 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: I feel at a loss here.

First of all, you may have noticed that I changed Iomega to Imation. The external portable LS120 drive that I have is an Imation product not Iomega as I originally thought. It is USB.

I will explain what I did. Maybe you can make some suggestions.

I first took the IMATION EXTERNAL USB LS120 drive and connected it to my newer Dell XPS which runs Windows XP. The system upon booting found the new hardware and said that it recognized it and said it was working properly. So I took a floppy and put it into the LS120 drive. I clicked on the drive in windows explorer and the hourglass came up indicating that it was working. I waited for quite a while and nothing was happening. Essentially the system froze. I pressed control, alt, delete and the message for the drive was that it was not responding. I then tried to remove the floppy by pressing the eject button on the outside of the drive and nothing happened. I tried to right click on the drive in windows explorer and that would not work, the hourglass continued to appear. I finally clicked END TASK in the box. Windows explorer then would not work.

I then decided to turn the computer off and then on. When the computer came back on, windows would not boot and I ended up with a completely black screen, nothing on it at all. At that point, I removed the USB plug for the LS120 drive from the computer. Immediatedly I got a blue screen which explained that the computer did not open windows in order to avoid any damage to the system. The blue screen ended up saying that if this is the first time that this has happened, hit enter. I did and windows booted without any further problem. The diskette that I put into the external LS120 drive is still in the drive and I cannot get it out by pushing the button as I normally do. This ended my trying to connect that drive to the system.

I then proceeded to remove the internal LS120 Drive from my old computer which is a Gateway G6-300 (300MHZ). The Gateway is running Windows 95B with USB support and I purchased it with the LS120 factory installed. I thought that I would put it into my newer DELL XPS. When I tried to connect the internal LS120 drive to the DELL I found that the pins on the back of the internal LS120 were not the same configuration as the ribbon plug on the Dell. End of attempt.

I think that just about covers what I did and I am not sure that there is any more that I can. The black window and then the blue window are indimidating to me and I am afraid to do any more on my own for fear of messing up my computer. What do yo think?

I can tell you that I did try previously, when I got my new DELL to install the drivers with the disc that came with the external IMATION LS120 drive and I got an error message saying sort of like XP does not support that drive.

Thanks for your help and interest. It is really appreciated.

Collapse -
That's pretty clear except for the internal model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Imation LS120

"I then proceeded to remove the internal LS120 Drive from my old computer which is a Gateway G6-300 (300MHZ). The Gateway is running Windows 95B with USB support and I purchased it with the LS120 factory installed. I thought that I would put it into my newer DELL XPS. When I tried to connect the internal LS120 drive to the DELL I found that the pins on the back of the internal LS120 were not the same configuration as the ribbon plug on the Dell. End of attempt."

From memory there was a floppy drive model and an IDE model. The IDE model is only a little trouble to install. I've learned to switch to the NEW ways of CABLE SELECT if I'm to plug it into 80 conductor IDE cables and MASTER or SLAVE if on the older 40 conductor cables.

The old floppy drive version connected to... the floppy drive ocnnections and not much to write about here.

The USB version just plugs in where you suspect.

-> I hope you didn't try to install LS120 drivers since that could make a small driver mess.

I bet somehow you'll get this to work, but for 2000 and XP, you don't have to install drivers. At least I never did.

Bob

Collapse -
Imation LS120
by joewallnj / November 23, 2005 6:41 AM PST

As for the internal LS120, I am not knowledgeable enough to tell whether it is IDE or whatever, although if I had to guess I would think it is IDE.
Looking at my DELL XPS, the only power plug on the DELL that looked similar to the power plug configuraion on the internal LS120 was the power plug on the floppy drive in the DELL. There are 4 pins on the back of the LS120 internal drive power connection. They matched, so that is where thought I could connect it; but as I said before the plug on the ribbon cable did not match the pins on the LS120 drive. So I stopped there.

I did not try to install the drivers from the original disk that came with the LS120 drive.

One of my friends that I see every morning at breakfast thinks he has a monitor that I can hook up to my old G6-300 Gateway. If that works, what I plan to do is to move all the files on my LS120 diskettes ultimately to CDs via the cd burner on my G6-300. Once I achieve that I think that I am going to put windows 98SE on the g6-300 drive which is only 8GB if I recall correctly and see if I can get the diskette that is stuck in the external USB LS120 to eject and get it working again.

Again, thanks for your help, ideas and encouragement. I appreciate it.

Collapse -
And now for a completely different solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 7:36 AM PST

If I don't have enough monitors but can network the machines I look up and install TightVNC (google.com) so I can reach over to the older machine and see what's on it's screen.

Bob

Collapse -
Imation LS120
by joewallnj / November 25, 2005 10:48 AM PST

I have read your suggestion and all the material at the TightVNC website. It is really interesting and appealing. Only, at this time I am not networked. I can assure you though that I will avail myself of this software as soon as I get networked, which I plan to do very shortly. I have found that the more problems I have, the more I learn. In that sense problems are good.

Thanks again for your help and knowledge! I will keep you up to date.

Collapse -
(NT) Imation LS120
by joewallnj / December 21, 2005 2:05 AM PST

Sorry that I have not gotten back sooner as to how I solved my problem.

I took all of my LS-120 floppy disks (40 of them) and transferred them to the hard drive in my old G6-300 Gateway. I then removed the hard drive from the G6-300 and attached it to a new hard drive enclosure that I bought in order to have an external hard drive for my present Dell XPS. I attached the external drive with the "old 8GB" hard drive in it to my current computer and transferred all the file. Job done.

I will now put a new 300 GB hard drive into the enclosure and use it for a lot of picture and video files that I have.

I plan to "upgrade" the operating system on my old clunker G6-300 from Windows 95 to Windows 98se. I have the software to do it.

If you know, is there a place online, where I can go, to find out all the steps to take to format the old hard drive and then install windows 98.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Collapse -
95 to 98
by bababear / December 21, 2005 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Imation LS120

IF you have the disk and 98SE then just install it. If you have an upgrade disk it will work by itself however if you have a new full install disk you can use FDISK to format the drive and then install 98SE. I do beleive your Gateway came with a RESTORE disk and it will format the drive and reinstall OME programs, then install the 98SE should work will. I do this with an old gateway all the time.

Collapse -
Internal Imation LS120
by JapanCricket / January 8, 2006 9:58 AM PST

Please Help...
I have just recently purchased a LS120 to replace on from my old computer and I cannot get it to work on my Dell. I am running XP. I do not have a driver disk. Is there a site where I can obtain the driver for this?

Thanks in advance for any help..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.