Computer Help forum

General discussion

Iomega external HD - installation problems

by springchild74 / January 7, 2006 3:55 PM PST

my new iomega harddrive is giving me a problem. the windows detect the hard drive and start "hardware update wizard" but i get an error message that says "the software you are installing for this hardware, USB mass storage device has, has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows xp" and that it strongly recommend against the installation.

should i forge ahead? (however, i don't have any other backups - that's exactly why i bought this)

online customer service says that it has a known incompatibility with my Acer laptop. but somehow i dont believe it, because i googled and couldn't find anything to the effect.

any help is immensely appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iomega external HD - installation problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iomega external HD - installation problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First, read carefully...
by Melati Hitam / January 7, 2006 4:50 PM PST

the message said about USB drivers... not iomega zip drivers..

As far as I know, You don't need any iomega drivers... usually you don't beed to install the iomega software, unless you need their utility.

So as for the USB drivers, just go ahead and install it..

I guest you don't have windows XP sp2 yet... You would be better if you install it first.

Collapse -
what is xp sp2?
by springchild74 / January 7, 2006 11:32 PM PST

this is the first time i hear about it.
thanks..

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sorry i got it, service pack 2 - i have it on my laptop
by springchild74 / January 7, 2006 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: what is xp sp2?
Collapse -
I read the message daily it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 11:38 PM PST

To get MS's blessing you have to PAY thousands to some company in Richmond, WA. Many companies will skip that and just drop a note in the product that this message will occur and to plow ahead.

If this message must not show for you, please return this make/model and try something else.

IN CLOSING, a hard disk is not a backup but a great second copy. Here's some posts where people had those external hard disks and they go MISSING.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7590-0.html?forumID=67&threadID=28919&messageID=328179
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7588-0.html?forumID=70&threadID=135125&messageID=1522846

Again, a great second copy but backup it's not.

Bob

Collapse -
iomega chat tech service says
by springchild74 / January 7, 2006 11:56 PM PST

"there is a known incompatibility with iomega hard drives and acer laptops (mine). you can return it now with no questions asked by calling 1-800-...." do you think i should believe this guy? i googled about the incompatibility but i couldn't find anything. i feel like this guy is only cutting and pasting his answers, and that i'm not getting what i really need to know. i feel you are right and i should forge ahead and install whatever program it is, but the message i get is reeeeeeeeeally scary like i will have a serious serious problem with my computer.

thanks r.profitt you are always there for us and i cna't say how much i appreciate your presence!

Collapse -
No model number so I can't be sure but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 12:12 AM PST

There were some units with HARDWARE USB issues, but this is not your issue but some software "goodness certified by Microsoft" issue. This message is quite common and I know why it happens. (It's the money)

But while it's not your issue, the other issue I ran into was USB hardware based and easy to cure but let's leave that for another day since it's not applicable here.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!