How To forum

Question

Iobit problem

by 29hyman / January 20, 2014 12:20 PM PST

My students have been downloading some of the Iobit free software. Advanced System Care 7, Iobit Smart Defrag and Iobit Uninstaller. As of a few months ago they discovered that Iobit has put in a SPAM program called Spigot-Yahoo. Once you download and install or update neglecting to decline any additional software with the install you get this spam. It redirects you homepage to Yahoo-Spigot no matter what tou decide to use.
I contacted Iobit who denied the claim and told me to just uninstall the tool bar, yeah right!!
So beware, it took 5 geeks and 5 days to finally get rid of it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iobit problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iobit problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks for posting this info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: Iobit problem

I think I can predict that the moderators don't use or endorse or advise folk use those products.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
iobit problem
by sportsfan555 / January 21, 2014 8:51 AM PST

I have the identical same problem and even though I uninstalled ALL my IOBit programs, I'm unable to get rid of this irritating homepage change. Can you tell me how you were able to eliminate the program that keeps reloading the fals homepage with the Spigot-Yahoo exe??? My computer is a Dell, i7, with Windows 8. My e-mail is uhcmapos@yahoo.com

Please help!

Thank you

Collapse -
Don't post.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: iobit problem

your email in the clear, you'll get spammed.
IObit is bad news stay away.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Forgot link.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Don't post.
Collapse -
Good info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot link.

Just did that (again) for another client.

Collapse -
Jeez Bob..
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Good info.

. this conduit thing is getting crazier.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Maybe more suited.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot link.
Collapse -
This is how I got rid of Spigot
by 29hyman / January 21, 2014 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: iobit problem

I went to bleeping computer on line and posted my problem.....the response was great, I had step by step help.
Just find a post or ask for help, those guys/gals are good! Its a bit of a process but it worked. Imducky1

Collapse -
Answer
IOBIT/ Toolbar&Search bars
by pshane / January 21, 2014 9:44 AM PST

I have had very similar problems, and have discovered that it is NOT IOBIT who is responsible, but whoever we have chosen to Download & Install it. - BE CAREFUL! - Read the Bottom of the "Agreement" and look for Boxes that are 'Pre-Checked' for these toolbars, and UN -Check them. - Also, You may see a 'Decline', or 'Custom Install', and you'll want to Click on these. - Don't be intimidated, if you click these buttons, you'll Still get your IOBIT, (which I happen to love!) Sometimes there are more than one or two of these aggravating Tool/Searchbar installs. - Keep Clicking til they're all gone except for the Iobit Install. - (even the 'Pro' version that's paid for will have these if you're not careful of who installs them!) - BTW, this even happens with C-Net!! - (and I wish they'd take some responsibility for these actions, and disallow them before presenting them to us unsuspecting PC Users for Installing.)

Collapse -
IOBIT
by 29hyman / January 21, 2014 3:21 PM PST

Iobit is the one that gives you the option to allow or decline, but the way they present it, can confuse anyone.
It is IOBIT!!

Imducky1

Collapse -
Answer
Use this
by razzamatazzer / January 21, 2014 12:19 PM PST

ComboFix
Just Google it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!