Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

invisible wireless-to-ethernet bridge

by arvind_s / June 17, 2005 5:41 PM PDT

Hello,

I currently have a laptop that gets its IP address on the wired ethernet using DHCP. I will like to be able to do access this wired ethernet remotely -- without physically plugging it into the ethernet jack everytime. An access point will work, but it will need an IP address of its own, in addition to making itself available to others. I looked at wireless-to-ethernet bridges, and all that I could find require an IP address as well.

Conceptually, all I am looking for is an extended long cable, except just that I want to have it wireless. I don't want to change any configuration -- like that required to support DHCP for the WAP etc, nor do I want to make any device I may add available or visible to others. The packets should ideally just be forwarded from the ethernet connection to my wireless card, and vice-versa.

Does anyone have any advice on any specific bridge or device which may do this? Or any way I can do this?

Thanks a lot!
Arvind

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: invisible wireless-to-ethernet bridge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: invisible wireless-to-ethernet bridge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The simplest way to add wireless...
by Michael Geist / June 17, 2005 8:15 PM PDT

capabilities to your LAN is to replace your wired router with one that has wireless features as well. WAPs work as well in conjunction with wired routers, but are a little more expensive.

I've just used a second wireless router, set to be an access point to extend my wireless networks reach. It's not that hard, just get the settings correct.

Collapse -
What access point needed an IP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

I have one and I configured it with USB and that was that. It didn't use an IP. I recall it's the WAP11, but you'll want a 802.11g today.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!