Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Invisible Pictures in PowerPoint 2003 and sometimes Word 03

by ahw30045 / May 3, 2005 6:14 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP Home SP2 on Velocity Micro PC at 3.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM. I am using MS Office 2003 SP1.

I have a problem with PowerPoint 2003: Whenever I insert Picture (whether clipart, photo, images on PC, or autoshapes), the image appears on the slide sorter but not on the main screen. Text works fine. When I print, it is there. The same file opened in PowerPoint 2002 (XP SP3) is fine, as when opening with OpenOffice.

I have a similar problem with Word 2003 but not consistently. A few minutes ago, one picture inserted in a document showed while another on the next page did not; when I printed the page with the invisible photo, it printed.

Any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Invisible Pictures in PowerPoint 2003 and sometimes Word 03
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Invisible Pictures in PowerPoint 2003 and sometimes Word 03
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A known issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

Discussed at length here, the cause was the video driver. The thread is very long, but the answer kept coming back to the drivers.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Solution: update drivers?
by ahw30045 / May 3, 2005 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: A known issue.

Are you saying I don't need to located the thread but to update my video drivers?

Collapse -
Updated driver caused PC lockup
by ahw30045 / May 3, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

When I went to the Intel site to update my driver for the 82915G Express Chipset. About 70% thru the insall my PC locked up. Any advice?

Collapse -
My fault: wrong display driver
by ahw30045 / May 3, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

I wanted to thank you and let you know that the lock up was My fault: I downloaded the wrong display driver. Latest display chipset fixed the problem!

Collapse -
Cheers!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2005 12:58 PM PDT

It's always nice to find the quick answer and solution.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Collapse -
One more twist to invisible pictures in PPT
by thomasj1248 / June 4, 2005 2:11 PM PDT

Hi,

I have just experienced similar problem (image invisible in PowerPoint) BUT it was a direct result of importing a .bmpo image into existing PowerPoint - not only was that image invisible in the main frame and visible in outline or in Slide Show mode, but from now on PowerPoint does not show any image at all, except again in outline or Slide Show.

I have hard time believing that it is a fault of a video driver as I have prepared 50+ PPTs on this PC (Gateway 420 GR Win XP SP 2, 512 MB RAM, Intel P4).

I spent few hours trying to play with settings and got nowhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Collapse -
Did you try the suggestions so far?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2005 11:53 PM PDT

I didn't read that you did.

Collapse -
Link?
by thomasj1248 / June 5, 2005 5:13 AM PDT

Hi and thanks 4 the quick reply - would u mind pointing me to the previous thread(s)? I did 2 quick searches @ CNET and came up empty.

BTW I still do NOT believe it is a driver issue as it would - IMHO - caused the trouible from the moment I started using the PPT on this particular machine.

Hope to get to the link(s) soon

Thanks again in advance

Thomas

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2005 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Link?

You don't believe it so I can't help. I've only cured it first hand a dozen (or more) times. Maybe your issue is not the video driver but it would be nice to know the exact video card and driver versions so others can see if they are out of date.

Looks like you'll have to pony up the bucks to ask your machine's maker or Microsoft now.

Bob

Collapse -
Invisible pictures in Word 2003

I found this thread on the board hoping to figure out a solution to a nagging problem I have with "blank" pictures but don't understand the solutions here. Update a driver for my computer? Pictures worked on windows XP with Word 2000 but when I upgraded they didn't.

I have an HP Pavillion a350n with an ATI graphics card installed. I use XP. I have 1.5 gig ram? 2.80GHz and pentium 4. (I honestly don't understand exactly what all that means but I hope someone can help a novice!)

Thanks.

Collapse -
Yup. That's the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

Many can't update video drivers or were never told how. The fact it worked in another operating system or version of Word does nothing but confuse the issue. It's a known issue and after curing a dozen (more) I only can share that you will want the latest video driver from the card or machine maker, then update directx.

There is no push button on Windows to do this for us. For ATI I would visit their website and fetch their latest, install it and then see if the problem vanished. If not, then I update DirectX.

Bob

Collapse -
Hardware Acceleration is the problem...
by Jiriki / June 17, 2005 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup. That's the usual.

It also seems to be tied to Direct3D/DirectDraw. Right-click the desktop, choose properties, select the Troubleshoot tab. Slide your Hardware acceleration bar one notch, click apply and see if the issue is resolved. Keep going 1 notch until it does. On most systems I've tested this on, you have to go down 3 notches to "Disable DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations..." before the problem is resolved.

For multiple monitors you have to do this for each monitor. Annoying yes, but I don't know who to blame as it seems to span video card vendors (Intel, Nvidia and ATI).

Collapse -
If acceleration fixed it, then the driver is ... busted.....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2005 7:19 AM PDT

I've only used the acceleration workaround while I waited for the driver to download.

Bob

Collapse -
Updating the Video Drivers Really Does Work
by ITJill / October 21, 2008 12:46 AM PDT

We're using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 and although I had no problems to start with, one day I found that my pictures just stopped appearing every time. We've updated the video drivers as suggested and now it works consistently.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

After solving this some hundred dozen times I still encounter those that can't believe it's a driver issue. Thanks for your comment!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?