Question

Invisible folder in Windows Live Mail 2012

Dec 12, 2016 8:22PM PST

The folder still shows - with content - in
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders\subfolder1\subfolder2\subfolder3, but no longer shows in the Windows Live Mail program. A different subfolder (a 'sibling') still shows. How to make it show again ? Win10 Pro v1511

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Invisible folder in Windows Live Mail 2012
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Invisible folder in Windows Live Mail 2012
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Keep in mind I might have to guess something.
Dec 13, 2016 11:41AM PST

Like "show in Windows Explorer." I can google "how to show all folders in Windows Explorer" so I take it that you tried that.

I also can use the command DIR /A and I see almost all folders, hidden or not.

- Collapse -
Problem misunderstood
Dec 13, 2016 1:14PM PST

Windows Explorer shows the folder - it is Windows Live Mail that hides it.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: make folder visible in WLM
Dec 13, 2016 1:30PM PST

A thing to try:
1. Move it away in Windows Explorer
2. Create it in WLM
3. Copy the contents of the moved folder into the newly created one.
No harm done if it doesn't work.

- Collapse -
Foiled again
Dec 13, 2016 1:37PM PST

"The folder could not be created.

A problem has occurred. Please try again."

- Collapse -
Foiled again #2
Dec 13, 2016 1:58PM PST

VERY complex phenomenon. The folder that disappeared was called COURT. I was unable to recreate that in the subfolder where I wanted it - I reported that, but the post the offered no opportunity to 'expand' as I am now doing. After that in WLM, I created a folder called Liz (Court's first name) in, not that subfolder, but in a higher one. It did NOT show in WinEX, however if I called it Lizbeth it would show in WinEx. So now I have a folder in WLM called Lizbeth, and in WinEx one called Liz. My head is spinning with the bizareness of it all.

- Collapse -
I do read a problem.
Dec 13, 2016 2:23PM PST

It's this -> "where I wanted it".

WLM does not appear to be a very good email app and if you create folders outside of it in WE or move things around outside of WLM it will likely blow up.

My office does not use or suggest use of WLM. It's proven to be unreliable.

- Collapse -
Beg to differ
Dec 13, 2016 3:18PM PST

I've had many years of very satisfactory use from W.L.M. I only did things in WinEx because a post suggested it - I agree with you that it is an unlikely 'fix' - but I thought I'd try - computing is full of unexpected phenomena.

- Collapse -
Time to ask it's maker.
Dec 13, 2016 3:50PM PST

Microsoft has forums just for Windows Live products. Time to see if they know a fix.

- Collapse -
Maker misinterpreted
Dec 13, 2016 5:01PM PST

I thought THIS was the Windows Live Forum...

- Collapse -
It's a discussion and more forum.
Dec 13, 2016 5:09PM PST

But when an app fails like this, we have to take it up a notch. In this case something blew up or isn't supported.

I can write that it's dangerous to tinker with WLM folders outside of WLM but once it blows up, it's all about backups and if Microsoft will tell how to fix without loss (in case the user forgot about backups.)

I see too many WLM failures. I also wrote off Windows 10 Mail (app.) If my clients want a good email app, that's Thunderbird and Outlook (the app, not the web page.)

CNET Forums

Forum Info