Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Invisible" data on hard drive

Hello and forgive me, being a relatively new "poster" ( I've been a "member" of cnet for some time ), if this is all a bit simple to you veterans of the forums.

I have an FX51 system with 2 120gb h/d's, the system drive of which works fine but the other is behaving strangely.
Some time back I copied over 2gb's of data from my other computer to this "new" one but, because of my health, have not used it for some few months. Today I was checking the beast out and was puzzled to find that, although it shows the over 2gb data as being on the drive, I can't SEE any of it! Neither can I search for anything using the search programme, or see anything if I use Windows Explorer. I just see a blank box. Just to be sure I've just copied a couple of small folders onto the drive and they show up, and behave, perfectly.
Anyone know what the problem might be?

Here's where I'm concerned - the drive is formatted as NTSF, whereas the copied files came from a FAT 32 formatted drive. Could that be the problem and, if so, how come the files copied onto the new drive okay in the first place ?
Is there any solution ? - and if there isn't and it's an incureable problem, how the hell do I delete all the files and start again if I can't actually access them at all ?!

Please, if anyone can give me a hand I'd be so very grateful.
Thank you all very much
Chris.

My "complete" system is:

Athlon FX51
2 gb Ram
2 x Maxtor 120gb 7200 scsi drives ( Originally set up in a Raid array as "one" drive but subsequently seperated into 2 drives by the manufacturer at my request)
Radeon 9800 Pro

I guess that's all that would be relevant? Thanks again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Invisible" data on hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Invisible" data on hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: "Invisible" data on hard drive

In reply to: "Invisible" data on hard drive

although it shows the over 2gb data as being on the drive, I can't SEE any of it! Neither can I search for anything using the search programme, or see anything if I use Windows Explorer. I just see a blank box.

?see a blank box (window ? ): when you open the drive, do you see the folders ? or the blank box appears when you open the folders ?

? At the blank box, what is the title (the blue strip at the top) ?
Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Re: "Invisible" data on hard drive

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I just get a blank window. No folders or files showing at all! If I understand you okay, the title in the blue strip is just DATA ( Z: )which is the name and letter of the drive.

Like I say in my post, I copied a couple of folders onto the drive last night and they behave perfectly normally! It's just the stuff that I'd previously copied that's "invisible"

I've already got the files and folders I copied on two other drives so I know there's no actual problem with them, if you see what I mean.

I have a small project studio at home and I just wanted to have as much "security" in terms of having as many copies of the files as I could, but the files are really huge multitrack Sonar files and what worries me is what happens if I copy them all across to the drive again and they STILL don't show when I open the drive?!?
If there's anything you can think of to help me out I'd be eternally grateful.
Thanks again mate
Chris.

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Re:

Is The Data Marked As "Hidden" Or Mayb "System" & R Your Folder Settings Allowing You 2 C Hidden And/Or System Files? This Is Really A Shot In The Dark, But You Nevr Know

Collapse -
Re:

I would not recommend saving anything to the drive before the mystery gets solved.

Like the others said it is hard to say without seeing the culprit but my approach to solving this would be using some disk doctor like Norton to examine the contents.

Sometimes it seems that windows fouls up the file allocation, even NTFS, so the files are there but the windows cannot find their beginning in the disk surface and thus cannot "see" them. When you add new files, they have fresh entries and they will show up nicely.

The big downer is that if you put ANY data to the disk before the missing ones are recovered the new data could overwrite parts of the missing and that data is then permanently lost.

If messing with the drives internals makes you uneasy, seek help since you really must know what you are doing .

Collapse -
Re:

I'm still hoping that someone will come up with a solution - am I really the first to experience this?
Wow, finally I'm someone special Happy

Seriously, can I thank all you guys who've chipped in so far. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Does anyone think I should just bite the bullet and format the drive and start again? It would be a real pain but like I said, I don't even know how I can delete the files if I can't see them!
Thanks again folks
Chris.

Collapse -
Re:

You say that you've got a 120Gb drive divided into two sections. These should be read as Drive C and Drive D by your machine, obviously it's not doing so.

Yes it may be a good idea to start all over again, have you erased the data from your previous computer?

Just put your XP disk in the disk drive and format the drive using NTFS (this will also erase all the old data you can't see), now check in "My Computer" to see that the drive (or drives) are showing up, they should be either just C or C and D.

Then providing you havn't erased the data from your old computer, you can use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" to get all you data across to your new machine, they will automatically be saved into NTFS format if you want, and you should find that they're all accessible this time.

Good Luck

Collapse -
Same Problem

I have the same problem, only on two computers now! I have a C: and D: partition. All programs on the C: and the stuff I draw and image data on the D:. The D: shows up, the properties shows its about 75% full. But when I click in the D: only a blank window shows up? They both use to work fine for years, It just started after a program called System Check" somehow installed itself in the computer? Is there some type of file thet got removed that allows the drive to be sean? Mabbe if I reinstall windows it will put back the missing files? Any advice deeply appriciated!

Collapse -
Re; Matte1960

In reply to: Same Problem

Collapse -
(NT) Old discussion locked.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.