Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Inventor of instant noodles dies

The inventor of instant noodles, Momofuku Ando, has died in Japan, aged 96, of a heart attack. He developed his first instant noodles, Chicken Ramen, in 1958. His most famous product, Cup Noodle, was released in 1971. Its taste and ease of preparation - adding hot water to dried noodles in a waterproof polystyrene container - have made it popular around the world.

No glib comment here... this guy helped feed millions of college students for near past 50 years. I can't think of anyone I know who has never had a bowl of instant ramen noodles at least once in their life. Ford, Edison, Bell, and a few others ever had as much impact from inventing a product as this man ever did.

grim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inventor of instant noodles dies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inventor of instant noodles dies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
He performed a real public service, all right!

In reply to: Inventor of instant noodles dies

Not only college students, but families on a tight budget!

Readers Digest used to give a $10 prize for the best suggestion.

That was in the days of train travel.

So, I wrote (expecting to win).... dry brewed coffee somehow, Put it in single serving packets on trains so people could just add hot water to make a cup.

No, I didn't win. But somebody sure found out how to dry brewed coffee! Happy I was robbed! Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
off topic, I guess

In reply to: He performed a real public service, all right!

Hi Angeline,

Speaking of train travel, Greg and I thought that'd be a neat vacation to take a train across the country. I had no clue how expensive that is until I started looking into it! I think it costs more than a cruise. Sad

Cindi

Collapse -
Depends on amenities I believe...

In reply to: off topic, I guess

I booked a round trip in the spring from Pittsburgh to Kansas City and back in 2003 for around $130.00 (layover of 8 hours in Chicago). For $75 more I could have had a sleeper car for one night. Friends we traveled with got the sleeper car and said it made the trip for them since they had a new born with them. The sleeper car included dinner and continental breakfast (of course you had room to keep your own food plus electrical outlet for a self heating travel pot).

Unfortunately, the train from Pittsburgh to Chicago was one of the oldest at the time and was really uncomfortable. Travel back was in a newer car and much better. From Chicago to Kansas City and back was really nice.

All in all it was fun but for anyone with circulation problems a quicker route with a hotel at the end might be a better way to travel.

BTW... we got a discounted rate booking several months in advance.

grim

Collapse -
I was looking around,

In reply to: Depends on amenities I believe...

And ended up on the website for the American Orient Express, I guess. These tours were like $6K per person, and were not cross-country, but Northwest National Parks. (Great trip, I'm sure, but would take the car before paying that much!!) I guess just going to a travel agent and telling them we want CHEAP would be the way to go. LOL

I don't have a clue when it comes to making travel arrangements. I've only booked an airline flight once!

Cindi

Collapse -
Hmm... when I did it...

In reply to: I was looking around,

Collapse -
(NT) Bookmarked for further perusal. :-) Thanks.

In reply to: Hmm... when I did it...

Collapse -
Instant Noodles?

Grim, I work with a Noodleholic. She is in the pre-press dept.
She told me one day "I am addicted to this stuff. I don't know why, but it makes me feel good!"
Not sure of the seasoning she used. Gorgeous Ramin or what brand.
I guess it works because this woman with two young kids is beautiful!

-Kevin

Collapse -
hold on

momofuku is censored?

XD

Collapse -
Too close to a double meaning I guess...

In reply to: hold on

Mo?mo?fu?ku

A friend of mine spent awhile in Japan teaching english after college. I won't repeat his name here since he now works for the government but... when he introduced himself to his japanese students he was met with polite giggles. The pronunciation of his name was close to sounding like "crimson fart" in the japanese language or so he told his friends while recounting the story.

I think he got laughed at because they just thought he was gaijin and could make a joke at his expense... but he said it was all in fun.

grim

Collapse -
Supposedly means "happiness"

In reply to: Too close to a double meaning I guess...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.