Computer Help forum

General discussion

Invasion by Magicsearch

by Micheal / February 5, 2004 1:08 PM PST

Can anybody tell me how to get rid of magicsearch ?

It appeared on my machine today.

It has installed itself as the home page in IE6 and cannot be replaced. Any attempt to change the home page in internet options is overwritten. Also several shortcuts have appeared in the favourite's folder and when deleted instantly reappear.

I guess something is running in the background, I have looked through task manager, have run various adaware and spyware programes and have not been able to locate the source.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE6 without any luck.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Invasion by Magicsearch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Invasion by Magicsearch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Invasion by Magicsearch
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 5, 2004 3:13 PM PST

Download and run HijackThis - get it here:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Click: "Save Log" (generates: "hijackthis.log")

Next, HijackThis | Config [button] | Misc Tools [button]
Click: Generate StartupList log [button] (generates: "startuplist.txt")

Next, go to the link below.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

and post your "hijackthis.log". There are the experts and they will tell you what to do.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Invasion by Magicsearch
by glass9350 / February 15, 2004 8:37 PM PST

If you use Spybot S&D 1.2 there is an option in the advanced mode to lock your home page in Internet Explorer. Go to tools / Internet options in IE and set your home page to what you want, then open Spybot advanced mode and go to the IMMUNIZE section. Scroll down to the bottom, There are 3 boxes to be checked,the second one is to lock the IE homepage. Once checked you will have to uncheck it if you wish to make changes.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / February 15, 2004 9:19 PM PST

After you get rid of MagicSearch.Dont know if this will help or not or if it even applies,as i dont know how you got the magicsearch in the first place,but if from IE trails,,here is what i do and nothing shows in IE..Use Blank 4 homepage:click IE icon then Ctrl+ the letter o..a window appears,i type the www. website i want to open in there,that way the dropdown page in IE is always empty.Good thing or not?? its the way ive always surfed the internet.I Always make sure history is cleaned out.

Collapse -
by R.B.P. / February 16, 2004 1:32 AM PST

Go to cnet .com & in downloads look for free program named Adaware 6 . Install it . It will solve these problems . Also free is Winpatrol download this free program . YOU will be VERY happy you did !!! LET me know how you do !!!!!! THANX

Collapse -
Re:Re:Invasion by Magicsearch
by tommyboy / February 16, 2004 7:26 AM PST

Magicsearch and CoolWebSearch are trojan viruses that will re-appear even if removed by Ad-Aware or other spyware removers. You need to get the free program called CWShredder in order to remove it completely. It's easy to find (just do a Yahoo search for it) and even easier to run. Then you will be back to normal. (Although you will have to re-assign your home web page.)

Collapse -
CWshredder
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 16, 2004 8:35 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.