Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

invalid partition table

After lots of problems with partitions, that i had on drive c: windows xp installed that didnt work and drive d: with windows xp too that did work.
i did backup on my important files on c: and formated that drive and left d: only with xp and c: empty
but after that windows didnt get to work and i get a boot error message: invalid partition table
i try all the fixboot and bootcfg, fix mbr...
everything, even installing windows xp on c: after the format but it didnt work..

currently drive c: and d: is active, and i bealive that is the problem... is there anyway making only d: active so maybe it will work?
and also important note is that drive c: is primary partiton not d:
i suppose this is the problem but i cant format drive d: beacuse i got important data there...

any solutions?
thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: invalid partition table
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: invalid partition table
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That doesn't agree with your last discussion.

In reply to: invalid partition table

Collapse -
Re: That doesn't agree with your last discussion.

In reply to: That doesn't agree with your last discussion.

i know i forgot to reveale it in my last post, but it dosnt matter now...
is there any solution for this current problem?

thanks

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: That doesn't agree with your last discussion.

It may help the forum if you told what you did to the machine from the time you left that other discussion to the current issue.

The lesson I see here is that your important data is on a hard disk with no backup. A recurring lesson that many only learn is that hard disks are temporary storage. It's pretty amazing the drive hasn't packed it in and just come back blank.

A cheap out would be to get a new hard disk, install XP proper and then add this drive with your important files and copy them to the new drive. It's not a backup, but having a second copy is better than nothing.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: That doesn't agree with your last discussion.

i backed up all to important data i had except the music files...(10gb)...
the only thing i did since the other discution is do the backup and then format c:(the xp that didnt work)...

Collapse -
Re: invalid partition table

Followed both of your posts.

As Bob said get a new drive to finish saving the balance of your files. The only way to make drive C: active is to delete all partitions using "fdisk.

From XP Resource Kit
"the executiable boot code in the boot sector finds Ntldr, loads it into memory, and transfers execution to that file. However, if the boot sector cannot find Ntdlr, which is the file that loads the operating system files from the boot volumn, windows Xp cannot start."

Dual boot system will have Ntldr on drive C:, Windows creates option menu for boot, you formatted drive C:,
No Ntldr, no recovery

Not to rain on your parade or sound harsh

Just trying to give the facts

Bill

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: invalid partition table

if i install a boot manager on c:?
will it load the bootmanager and let me load xp from d:?

Collapse -

Good question. I don't know.

Bill

Collapse -
What's very odd is that we seem to have that.

In the last dialogue, the last few steps looked like the initial boot loader and boot.ini was being processed. The boot manager from Microsoft is a combination of items from the MBR, which loads more code and in the case of XP, used boot.ini and more.

But it doesn't matter. You can retrace the steps of FIXMBR, FIXBOOT, BOOTCFG and then see if you can boot off the hard disk. Or install XP on the partition you want.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What's very odd is that we seem to have that.

In reply to: What's very odd is that we seem to have that.

i tried about all the above things you wrote...

if i delete partition c: and leave only d: on the computer. will the xp load then? beacuse it is the only partition available and the boot has to read data from him, right?
what do you think?

Collapse -
Re: What's very odd is that we seem to have that.

In reply to: Re: What's very odd is that we seem to have that.

"I tried about all the above things you wrote...

if i delete partition c: and leave only d: on the computer. will the xp load then? beacuse it is the only partition available and the boot has to read data from him, right?
what do you think?"

I think you have a real problem in following directions and providing feedback to the forum. I noted this more than once as we working on making sure the MBR was proper, then we worked on the boot menu and then you abandoned the effort and here you are.

My opinion is its time for you to give the machine to someone and tell them what you need done. I don't know if you can get the job done here since your lack of dialogue hinders getting simple steps done.

Love to help, but you must participate.

Bob

Collapse -
No. That's not going to work.

In reply to: Re: What's very odd is that we seem to have that.

Here's why. XP doesn't like being moved about. If it is, in all but one extreme case it's had to be reinstalled because all the partition and drive letter changes in the registry and other files are beyond the average owner. You had difficulty with FDISK /MBR so your skill level is a few years away from this type of repair. And this sort of repair is not possible in this small space.

What to do? Get another drive, install XP on it, slave that old drive and copy your files out.

Bob

Collapse -
Your bios always looks to the first partition on ....

the drive you have your bios set to boot. In most cases it's commonly called the c: drive. Set the hard drive with the operating system on it to be the master on the primary connection. That will cause the bios to look there to find the boot files.
Now you don't have any bootfiles on there because they were on the c:drive that you formatted. Therefore you have to then boot from the cd and go to the recovery console and try the bootcfg /rebuild , if that doesn't work try fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0 then maybe fixboot c:.
If it were me and I had everything saved anyway I would redo everything, put both hard drives in and format them both and install XP fresh.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.