Computer Help forum

General discussion

Invalid Menu Handle after File DL..WHAT!? HELP!

by Matt8729 / January 11, 2005 5:12 AM PST

When i try to download a file from the internet i get a error message when its done and about to open saying the File name and under it "Invalid Menu Handle". And wont let me download the file. How do i fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Invalid Menu Handle after File DL..WHAT!? HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Invalid Menu Handle after File DL..WHAT!? HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Void of useful information.
by Cursorcowboy / January 11, 2005 8:56 PM PST
i get a error message when its done and about to open saying the File name and under it "Invalid Menu Handle"

Nothing found using this parameter.

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus"

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

4. Please step through this forum "thread" for possible assistance.

Note: Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.
Collapse -
Invalid menu handle
by clement001 / January 18, 2005 6:49 AM PST

When I try to download a file from LokiTorrent, I click on the torrent, I click on "Open" then I get a banner with a big red "X" that reads as follows:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\I5WZMPU5\name of the torrent[www trinity be cx]-[www[1]].torrent

Invalid menu handle

There is a "OK" button that make everything disappear and I am back at the web site.
I never had any problems before, this started yesterday.
Thanks in advance for your help

Collapse -
Many torrent web sites are going down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2005 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Invalid menu handle

Many were trafficking in stolen goods and are being dealt with.

Tell what you need (if its legit) and many will help you find it.

Collapse -
I've figured it out! (I think)
by deeweemee / March 11, 2005 11:06 AM PST

I'm not sure if this applys to you? But I was having the same problem and I had a program called "Turbo Torrent" a Bit Torrent Client, so I deleted it and the problems gone!!
Hope that helps?

Collapse -
Invalid Menu Handle
by mindburst7 / June 6, 2007 1:39 PM PDT

did you get an answer to your problem? I am having. Please em the same problemail me the answer at

Collapse -
And Did You Try The 'Fixes' In This Thread?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Invalid Menu Handle

By the way, it's not really a good idea to post your email address in the forums.. SPAM can be the result.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by hagar_1983 / November 29, 2008 10:07 PM PST

i have the same problem can you help me to solve it?

Collapse -
I am a know nothing, am getting the "invalid menu handle"
by mitchi / February 18, 2005 4:54 AM PST

I can't download certain types of files, especially adobe. I have windows xp. I tried to "system restore " to help the problem, but it won't do that-just gives "system restore incomplete -without explanation are these two symptoms related? any suggestions?
Thank you

Collapse -
System Restore Incomplete...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 9:28 AM PST

...usually refers to a corrupted "restore point". Have you tried a different restore point?

Which service pack do you have installed on XP? You might try installing SP2 if you don't have it.

But first, download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal programs from the links below:

Collapse -
'Invalid Menu Handle' For Acrobat Reader & Torrent
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 9:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Invalid Menu Handle
by HSokPhilly / March 31, 2005 3:23 PM PST

I've had that problem too. Here's the exact error:
I get that message after downloading files, then opening. The file D/L is fine, but when I try to open it, it shows the path where the D/L went to (C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local\Temporary Internet Files) then the error
Does that help? Now, can YOU help?

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2005 3:43 PM PST

1. Use Windows Explorer to open the downloaded file. For reasons I still don't know exactly, some files download by default and unchangeable to the TIF, while others ask you where you want to put the file. That's easier - of course - to pick up.

2. Use another browser for your downloads. Firefox is to be recommended for this.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / March 31, 2005 8:44 PM PST

Nothing helpful found for your reported error information.

1. If the download option Always ask before opening this type of file is Null, files downloaded are automatically saved in the Temporary Internet File (TIF) folder and opened by the associated program. You are therefore not prompted for a location, [Q177976].

2. Instead of clicking a file to download, right-click instead and choosing Save Target as.... -- (a context window will be rendered where you can check the box for that option).

3. If you want to be prompted for a download location for a given file type:

a. Open My Computer/Explorer, View, Folder Options.

b. On the File Types tab, click the appropriate file type in the Registered File Types box wanted.

c. Click Edit, and then select the Confirm Open After Download check box. Click OK twice to close.

Collapse -
Invalid Menu Handle
by garycomputer / April 23, 2005 5:13 AM PDT

To correct this error, open Control Panel, click on Folder Options, click on "File Types" then scroll until you see the ext. you're having problems with, and choose "default" for its actions. This will ususally fix things.

Collapse -
invalid menu handle
by meter_metero / May 3, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

Try this go to folder options then click on file types, if you are having problems with acrobat reader then delete the pdf file type if the poblem is when downloading torrent file then just delete the torrent file type

Collapse -
Check out that date!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2008 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: invalid menu handle

After 3 years I wonder if they'll find your fix.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?