Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Invalid MCI device ID" error at start of Windows XP

by esemones / August 11, 2005 8:32 AM PDT

I have installed and am happily running Apple's iTunes and iPod on my new WindowsXP computer, but since the installation I am showen, at the start of Windows desktop, error messages: "Invalid MCI device ID; Use the ID returned when operating the MCI device".
After closing each message, all is well and operates fine.
Any suggestions to avoid this annoying message? I'm assuming the MCI device refers to the Apple hardware (found in the registry).

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Invalid MCI device ID" error at start of Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Invalid MCI device ID" error at start of Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure that's the right error message?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 8:40 AM PDT

Microsoft's MSDN documented an error with this message:

"Invalid device ID. Use the ID given to the device when the device was opened."

It's close, but not yours. If you made a typographical error, please correct it or confirm you supplied the exact message.

Bob

Collapse -
Invalid MCI device ID ...
by esemones / August 23, 2005 3:36 AM PDT

Dear Bob,

Sorry for the delay in responding ... was out of town for a week.

Today when I started WindowsXP the error messages did not appear for about 5 min. then a layered blocks were shown (top down):
"Invalid MCI device ID. Use the ID returned when operating the MCI device"
"The MCI device you are using does not support the specified command"
"Cannot find specified file. Make sure path and filename are current"
"Invalid MCI device ID. Use the ID returned when opening the MCI device"

Perhaps related was a warning found in Computer Managment>Event Views>application :"Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 001109DAB689. The IP address being used is 169.254.185.176." I have found three items under Networking>LAN or High Speed Ethernet: Local Area Connection: 1)Marvell Yukon PCI-EGigabite(network cable unplugged), 2) Nvidia nForce Networking Controller, connected, 3)1394 Connection, connected, firewalled. All of these show RPC services as Windows Controller. I have not network that I know of, using DSL with Earthlink.net. Can I safely delete or disable these LAN items?

I certainly appreciate your interest and expertise.
Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

Collapse -
The short answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2005 4:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
good info
by esemones / August 23, 2005 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: The short answer.

Thanks, Bob.

Lots of pertinent links to devour. The Athlon64 3500+ computer is brand new from Monarch Computers who say they load the latest drivers ... we'll see about that. Later. Earl

Collapse -
That's a good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2005 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: good info

While with every post we have that forum note, your error message is typical of very old drivers. And I mean in the 2000 to 2002 timeframe or older.

However there were some software titles that could evoke/provoke this message but I don't have much to work with.

If this was my machine I've get the HIJACKTHIS logfile and review every item to see what it was. (after driver updates)

Bob

Collapse -
Year 2000, old?
by esemones / August 23, 2005 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a good clue.

Dear Bob,

For one who's just recently thrown out his 5 1/4 discs and some old self-made Pascal programs (still have the 3 1/2s to go thru/out), I've never thought that year 2000 was old, but I guess it is!

That was the year that I installed Clocktick.exe, an alarm program of yesteryear. I removed it from Startup and rebooted, and so far no MCI error messages!
There's a price to be paid for the new technology...

Will keep in touch, with fingers crossed.
Earl

Collapse -
My bet is you cured it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2005 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Year 2000, old?

While we went about it in an indirect method, the results are what matters.

Bob

Collapse -
WindowsXP did its part?
by esemones / August 30, 2005 11:10 AM PDT

After a few days, I started up my "ClockTick" program (shareware, web support long gone) again, and so far no MCI error messages, but I'm not holding my breath but looking around for another Calendar type of program, from "Ideal", to store my events of yesterday and anniversies thereof as well as gentle prompts of the future. So, WindowsXP might have worked some magic?
Have a great week, Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?