Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Invalid BOOT.INI file for Windows 2000 Professional

by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 2:15 AM PDT

Please help, have spent a whole day looking for answers to a boot problem on my Windows 2000 Prof. computer. When I boot up the computer, I get a black screen that says ''press F1 to continue'', then another black screen that says ''BOOT.INI invalid, then BOOTING FROM C:WINNT. The windows OS then loads.

I have done the following:
1. Searched the web including Microsoft Windows for invalid boot.ini info, Cnet, Google, etc. Most of the answers are for Windows XP which aren't the same as for Windows 2000 and I did try them anyway!

2. Unchecked hidden files - Boot.ini is still not there, have done a search for this file and it still isn't there. Went to control panel, system, advanced tab, starup and recovery, get a message C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened, click OK, and there is no option to edit - just 3 checked boxes!
3. Set the BIOS to boot using the Windows CD

4. Run the Recover Console but when I get to the part about typing in bootcfg /rebuild, there is no command for that. There is also no commands for any type of Boot anything. The only command available is FIXBOOT. I tried that and still it doesn't work.

5. Have McAfee anti virus and have run that, everything is ok.

If someone can help with step by step instructions, I
thank you in advance. Nothing else has worked!

CR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Invalid BOOT.INI file for Windows 2000 Professional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Invalid BOOT.INI file for Windows 2000 Professional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

Share what's in your boot.ini I'll compare it to mine.

I will not offer any step-by-step since you must be able to run notepad, copy and paste without step-by-step, click-by-click instructions.

Bob

Collapse -
INVALID BOOT.INI
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: First step.

Would love to share what's in the boot.ini file, but I can't open or locate it!

Thanks, CR

Collapse -
Given you know where it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: INVALID BOOT.INI
Collapse -
INVALID BOOT.INI
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 2:56 AM PDT

Am not sure where I should copy the boot.ini file to?
The Newbie forums you referred to - what did you mean?

Thanks,
CR

Collapse -
No details, no fuel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 3:07 AM PDT

You are not sharing details. C:\BOOT.INI is the file and location, an example boot.ini is in the link provided which you can edit to match the WINDOWS install directory (WINNT?) that you installed to.

Dive in and try a little harder? But I don't know if you have a C: since you didn't share.

Bob

PS:Sample Boot.ini File

This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows 2000 based computer:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /fastdetect

Collapse -
INVALID BOOT.INI
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No details, no fuel.

Thanks, I did check out the website link you listed. It mentions a %systemroot% drive in Explore, which I don't see on my computer.

I do have Local C drive, Desktop, My Computer, Compact disk D and E

Cannot locate the C:\BOOT.INI and all indications when trying to find this file through search - cannot find!
What else can I share with you?

I can't edit or fix the boot.ini if I can't find or locate it. Does seem to be missing. Have been looking for 2 days.

CR

Collapse -
%systemroot% is not a place, but a variable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 3:23 AM PDT

It is specific to your install of 2000.

Given you have C: as the boot drive, you now have enough information to create C:\BOOT.INI and put my example text into that.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
INVALID BOOT.INI
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 3:27 AM PDT

Thank you again, I am assuming you are suggesting I open notepad, create new file, and type in the suggested boot.ini file information, then save to the C drive? Will this work?

Am I missing something?
Thanks again, CR

Collapse -
Pretty close. One thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 3:34 AM PDT

Notepad has this oddity it may save it as BOOT.INI.TXT You can avoid that by renaming it later or by start, run,

NOTEPAD C:\BOOT.INI

Notepad use is not something I'll cover in this forum. Hope you understand why.

Bob

Collapse -
INVALID BOOT.INI
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 3:39 AM PDT

Thank you for the information. Will try that and reboot the computer.
I did change the type of file from .txt to all files.
After I try this, will post the answer.

Thanks again, CR

Collapse -
INVALID BOOT.INI
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 3:41 AM PDT

Almost forgot to ask, does the "Windows 2000" discription in the boot.ini file need to have Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional in it?

CR

Collapse -
You can describe it as you wish.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 3:47 AM PDT

Best of luck. You may want to read a few more articles to see what each 'field' of the boot.ini does. That one is free for your imagination. Within reason that is. Don't put much else than A-Z and 0-9 in there to steer clear of text handling issues.

Bob

Collapse -
NOW I GET F1 TO RESUME
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,
Rebooted and the black screen appears with "F1 to resume" - the invalid boot.ini screen does not come up but windows starts to load.

Any suggestions why this happens?

CR

Collapse -
Sounds like a BIOS message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 4:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
F1 to Resume
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 9:00 AM PDT

Thanks -
Haven't had the time to research Google.com - will check there also.
I have a Pentium 4 with 38GB capicity. I do not have a model type, it was a special customized computer by a computer company. No brand name.

CR

Collapse -
I'd find out the make/model of the motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: F1 to Resume

Belarc Advisor (google.com) may identify it. If not, try looking at the board.

Just wondering. How is it we know the make/model of our car but not our PC?

Bob

Collapse -
MAKE/MODEL
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

My computer has an Intel motherboard and an ATI Radeon Display driver, soundmax digital audio sound card. I know it has some very good components, but it isn't a Dell, HP, etc.
Has a Pentium 4 CPU 2.0 GHZ

Custom cars usually start with a mfg model -
Computers can be built from peices.

CR

Collapse -
Check with Intel.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: MAKE/MODEL

Custom car owners tend to know each nut and bolt. I just think it interesting we don't know these things.

-> The BIOS may be out of date or you just need to go in and make a small change like set the clock and save the settings.

Bob

Collapse -
BIOS
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Check with Intel.com

Thanks again....
Will try that and double check the boot settings as I was trying to boot to the Microsoft Windows 2000 CD in order to do the Recovery Console.
However, the same screen was coming up before I did any changes to the Bios.

Will reboot and try again.
CR

Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS

The F1 screen to show before you get to the BIOS is proper.

Collapse -
F1 to Resume
by cgramsey / October 4, 2005 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: That's proper.

Tried changing the time, saved in BIOS and rebooted. I still get the same screen - white letters on a black background showing my computer information and at the bottom of the screen is says "press F1 to Resume". In order for Windows to load, I need to press the F1 key. This happens out of the blue - and has always done so since I have had this computer - 3 years now!

Sometimes it boots right into Windows and sometimes I get this screen.......really tired of it....

Is it proper to have that screen when you boot up your computer, or aren't you supposed to just boot into Windows?

CR

Collapse -
Not a Windows issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: F1 to Resume

I don't have all the information needed to tell you what BIOS setting to change. I only know I've fixed this one dozens (or more) times. At least it's not an OS issue.

"This happens out of the blue - and has always done so since I have had this computer - 3 years now!"

Can I ask how the supplier got away with delivering it with that bug?

Bob

Collapse -
More F1.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 11:13 AM PDT

1. Read my reply to http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6127-0.html?forumID=9&threadID=127919&messageID=1445733 about my happy CD/DVD recipe.

2. An out of date BIOS is a common issue I run into. For instance an early release BIOS may not be too forgiving about DRIVE SPINUP TIME but not fail the drive. Instead it may timeout and give the owner the famed F1 to boot.

3. Many posts leave out the details. It's the member's choice but without details it's rough to point at the issues or possible cures.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
F1 ISSUE
by cgramsey / October 5, 2005 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: More F1.

Read your reply website -
One of the things I do a regularly, is update the drivers, software, and maintenance on the computer.

I do not know how to update the BIOS.
Also don't open the case of the CPU -

Will tell you this, won't be buying a customized built computer with no brand name ever again!

The computer tech that built it has worked on it many times and some of the old bugs keep coming back. Like the F1 issue and reboots on it's own whenever.

I have learned to live with these issues, but they are bothersome.

Thanks for you info, am not sure I will be able to fix these issues.

CR

Collapse -
BIOS FIXED
by cgramsey / October 6, 2005 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: More F1.

Thanks Bob for all you help and directing me in the right direction on this issue.
The new boot.ini file is now working fine.

I also updated my Bios from a download at Intel and no more F1 to resume. Followed the instructions from the Intel download. The computer now boots up like it should directly into windows.

Thanks again.....
CR

Collapse -
That is good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2005 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS FIXED

Next you'll tell me about your car insurance.

(chuckle)

Bob

Collapse -
BOOT.INI
by irvingw / October 15, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

There have been a number of posts to this invalid boot.ini discussion so I will just forward a boot.ini file in hopes that this one helps although it appears to be the same or similar to one already posted.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=3
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Setup"

For further information go to:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1268/

If you are still having problems as you read this, hopefully this post will help you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?