The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Introducing Macbook

by elsabordelamor / May 15, 2006 11:02 PM PDT

Mad Dog just dropped the new Macbook and for Veronica and Molly it is a nice compact 13".

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Introducing Macbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Introducing Macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
*drool*
by barret55 / May 15, 2006 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Introducing Macbook

That black MacBook is one sexy little computer. Wish I had some money to get one right now.

-Terry

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Me Too :(
by AndyInTN / May 16, 2006 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: *drool*
Collapse -
I Want
by AndyInTN / May 16, 2006 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: *drool*

The white one, I dunno, it just looks sexier to me. The black one looks odd to me. I don't know why. It kind of reminds me of the old Power Books.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) going to apple store now!
by scott_wilder / May 16, 2006 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glossy screen and *** GFX card though... thumbs down
by Jasmes / May 16, 2006 1:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Weren't you the one...
by MacHugger / May 16, 2006 3:32 AM PDT

...who hated the coating on the LCD's of you MacBook Pro? I should think glossy is what you get when there ISN'T a coating on the LCDs. It seems like a cost-cutting measure to me and now, as good as this thing looks on paper, I'm definitely going to have to see it in person before making a decision to purchase. Apple is touting it like some kind of feature, but I'm thinking "Lemonade out of Lemons"

Definitely going to need to see this at the Apple Store first. Maybe it does look better somehow but I can't imagine it.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The matte finish is the lesser of two evils.
by Jasmes / May 16, 2006 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Weren't you the one...
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) the brightness and glossy work together. amazing
by Ravensblood / May 16, 2006 4:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm not a fan of seeing my reflection constantly
by Jasmes / May 16, 2006 4:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Resisting the Urge
by eugenep01 / May 16, 2006 2:21 AM PDT

I?m glad to see Apple really hit all the price points in their PC lineup. I also have to say this is incredibly tempting as I am in desperate need of a laptop. However others have been said, having that Intel integrated graphics is a real downside.

Collapse -
anyone want to buy a powermac g5?

i got something i need to finance.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how much my friend is looking to get a mac
by firestarter / May 16, 2006 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
No thanks
by rosscbrown / May 16, 2006 3:09 AM PDT

I don't like it in black.
It's SLOW
I has an ugly keyboard
yuck

I want a mini macbook pro as opposed to the new "macbook happy meal" for the under fives.

yuck yuck yuck

way to screw it up Jobs!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) +1
by Jasmes / May 16, 2006 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: No thanks
Collapse -
I think it's a major winner
by MacHugger / May 16, 2006 3:40 AM PDT

It may not be the student-priced, aluminum MacBook Pro Lite you were hoping for but once you students wake up and join us in the real world you'll notice...

1) They offer it in white as well

2) It's thinner than the previous iBook

3) The screen is larger without much of an increase in form factor

4) It's pretty inexpensive with some pretty amazing processing power in it.

I don't see exactly how this is considered a "screw-up" especially when compared to its replacement. It's consumer class. The ONLY thing that concerns me is the glossy screen but I'm going to have to see it in person before I judge it as a bad move.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
how much is it
by rosscbrown / May 16, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

i never looked at the price - it might turn out to be ok when one factors in the price

Collapse -
Starts at $1099 US
by MacHugger / May 16, 2006 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: how much is it

At $1099 you get the white 1.83 GHz Core duo, 60 gig hd, combo drive

$1299 gets you the white 2.0 GHz, 60 gig hd, superdrive

$1499 gets you the black 2.0 GHz 80 gig hd, superdrive

The best deal looks to be the middle option unless somebody really wants the black version. You can always upgrade the hard disk and RAM for any of them if you do an online order.

It really is an awesome bang for the buck. I personally would rather see that same 13 inch in the Pro line with a better graphics card but I'm willing to pay more for it.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
it's slow?
by Ravensblood / May 16, 2006 4:08 AM PDT

2.0 Ghz Core Duo. The same speed as the MacbookPro. what are you smoking?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It'll be slow for any graphics processing of any kind.
by Jasmes / May 16, 2006 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: it's slow?
Collapse -
Not for what I use it for.

I use my laptop for a few reasons.

-home stereo
-Podcasts and DVD's while I work on my Powermac
-Professional RAW image capture with my digital back on location or in the studio.
-travel

so it's gonna kick butt with the same processor specs and RAM as the pros for what I need.

I will never game on my Macbook. that's what the intel powermac will be for...not that I won't play on it until the powermac comes out or install bootcamp Wink to try some PC gaming.

I don't retouch in photoshop on a laptop, either.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it looks like it will be slow
by rosscbrown / May 16, 2006 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: it's slow?
Collapse -
High performance graphics cards COST
by MacHugger / May 16, 2006 5:38 AM PDT

You want a fast graphics processor, you buy the MacBook Pro. You can't expect an entry level, low-priced laptop to be packed with everything. Companies are in the business to make a profit, not give them away at cost.

Jasmes, you made the right decision for your needs going with the Pro. GREAT machine. But it's not fair to blast these things for the market to which they're targeting. High performance graphics cards are EXPENSIVE. Take a look at the $5000 Alienware laptops if you need proof.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
My new Macbook...check it out!
by Ravensblood / May 16, 2006 3:44 AM PDT
http://ericfischer.blogspot.com/

This morning put my powerbook on ebay and ran to the Apple store, SOHO. They didn't have black ones yet, but I wasn't sold on black anyways.
Collapse -
Give us an evaluation of the glossy
by MacHugger / May 16, 2006 4:18 AM PDT

Hey rockin, can you give us an honest evaluation of what you think about the glossy screen? Also maybe place it in worst case situations, like with a bright window or bright halogen or something behind you in your room.

I just don't see why Apple is actually shouting this as a feature unless for some odd reason, it somehow improves the appearance of what you see on screen. I guess to be totally honest, the matte finish on my Cinema Display does SLIGHTLY filter the overall image quality compared to the glossy LaCie CRT right next to it (at work) but I prefer that look to a super crisp one that has a big light glare right where I don't want it to be.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
30 second review of screen
by Ravensblood / May 16, 2006 4:58 AM PDT

The glossy screen looks amazing o a normal desk with any lighting conditions. It may possible be better than my Lacie CRT. I can say that it equals the quality of a cinema display, which is pretty impressive. There is no comparison when referring to my 12" powerbook. The PB looks like a piece o' doo now.

With the screens facing a bright window with indirect light, the powerbook is unreadable, and the Macbook is almost flawless. That is pretty amazing.

I took the Macbook outside. the afternoon light is glaring on the front of my building. It was weird. with direct sunlight it looks perfect. with the light bouncing off the building onto the screen it's very dark. Most laptops in this situation would be totally unusable. This was the most extreme condition.

Collapse -
Indianapolis store sold out in first two hours. UGH!!!!
by scott_wilder / May 16, 2006 4:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Apple, you're killing me ...
by mollywood-20145211451868876304931303067070 CNET staff / May 16, 2006 7:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
For heaven's sake
by scott_wilder / May 16, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

Just click and hold and a al peanut butter sandwich you get a context menu!!!

Yes I would very much enjoy a right click button. I would also like peace on earth. And I would like a home and hot meal for every person. But c'mon Molly. There's so many things to like compared to this one complaint.

Is this really the hill to die on?

Scott

Collapse -
Mountains - mole hills
by MacHugger / May 16, 2006 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: For heaven's sake

Having used a Titanium laptop for years, I can honestly say that I never even felt like I was missing anything without a second click button on the trackpad.

In fact, considering how strange trackpads can be in the first place, I'm having a difficult time even kind of imagining it's use as it functions on a multi-button mouse. You just don't use a trackpad in the same way.

Why do I get the feeling this is just a little more than a mountain out of an exceedingly tiny mole hill just to uphold a stance taken years ago? I don't know who is more bull-headed: Steve Jobs or Molly. I have NEVER heard any Mac user who owns a PowerBook complain about the lack of a second button on the trackpad (though I along with many other Mac users screamed for years for Apple to make a multi-button mouse). It's just not used in the same way. Maybe it could be but I certainly don't miss it and, in fact, might find it more than a bit in-the-way and mistakenly "right-click" when I never intended to.

-Kevin S.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?