Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Internet Works But Trouble Accessing Comps, Folders, etc.

by metsfan1968 / May 29, 2005 5:02 PM PDT

I just installed a simple wireless network using:

1) Netgear RangeMax router (WPN824) connected to Toshiba cable modem.
2) PC#1 - Dell Dimension 4300, Win XP Home Edition SP2, Windows firewall disabled, EZArmor firewall on with network identified for sharing, specific folder identified, connected to router via ethernet cable.
3) PC#2 - Dell Dimension 3000, Win XP Home Edition (not sure of SP#), Windows firewall exceptions set to allow sharing, specific folder identified, connected via Netgear RangeMax Wireless PCI adapter (WPN311)

I updated the security settings on the router to use WPA encryption & MAC addresses. Added MAC address of PC#2 to list - did not add PC#1 because it did not come up as connected (that's how I entered MAC address for PC#2 - the router config site identified who was connected at the time I updated the security).

PC#1 - Internet works. Network Places only shows shared folders from PC#1 itself. Workgroup computers shows both PC#1 & PC#2, but PC#2 gives error when I try to open/explore (... not accessible. You may not have permission to access this network resource ... path not found.)

PC#2 - Internet works. Wireless signal say 'Excellent.' Network Places shows nothing. Workgroup computers shows nothing.

Any thoughts on why PC#1 cannot get into PC#2? ...why PC#2 does not see either computer (not even itself) under the workgroup or Network Places?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Works But Trouble Accessing Comps, Folders, etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Works But Trouble Accessing Comps, Folders, etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may add a MAC address....

by accessing the number through ipconfig/all from a command prompt.

Firewalls are one of the main reasons people fail to network their machines. For this reason I would turn them off until a viable network has been established. Then I would :

1) check the workgroup names
2) check the IP/subnet ranges for each machine
3) search for each computer by IP and then by name

Collapse -
How do I search for each computer by IP address?
by metsfan1968 / May 30, 2005 2:36 AM PDT

All of the searches & areas where I can enter an address for a computer that I can find ask for the name of the computer rather than the IP.

Collapse -
I use the built in Windows utility....
by Michael Geist / May 30, 2005 2:41 AM PDT

Start/Search/for Files or Folders/Computers or People/Computer on the Network/Computer name or you may enter an IP address.

Collapse -
Got it work, but then . . .
by metsfan1968 / May 30, 2005 11:30 AM PDT

Turned off all firewalls (realized my son's computer, PC#2)had Norton Internet Security firewall on - thought he only had Windows firewall and Norton Antivirus. Anyway, turned all off, and voila - we could both see & access each other's computers. I then configured my EZArmor firewall to allow my network as a trusted zone for sharing info and configured his Norton firewall to allow the network as well. Turned them on and still had access both ways. I even printed through his printer. But...

I put my PC (#1) on standby and went out - in the meantime, he shut his down to rearrange his computer desk. When I came off standby and he turned his on - back to the same problem as before for me - his PC shows in my Workgroup view but tells me I don't have access when I try to view shared folders/printers, etc. He can still use my shared folders in his Network Places but goes back to previous error saying he does not have permission to access the Workgroup when he tries to view the computers through there.

I turned all firewalls back off but no luck. Any thoughts on these developments?

Collapse -
Having more than one firewall....
by Michael Geist / May 30, 2005 12:33 PM PDT

guarding the gates can lead to confusion as to which program is blocking the way. Personally I use one or the other (actually only XPs firewall). I find Security Suites to be overly resource hungry and invasive.

As a test, try uninstalling Norton/EZ Armor and use only XPs firewall making sure you enable File and Print Sharing on the Exceptions tab.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?