General discussion

Internet very slow in new place... what's the problem?

I recently moved and have had a miserable time setting up my dsl connection and wireless network. I had it working for a short while but now every computer on the network is bogged down with a 'sending request' message in their browsers every I try to load a page.

Eventually the page does load(no timeouts) but it's extremely sluggish and frustrating. I called my ISP who said there is no problem on their end.

Could this be a modem problem? Is there a way I could configure it to be more efficient? I doubt that it's the router now, since the wireless signal is good, the firewall is off, and accessing the router page is instant (where as the modem page takes forever).

Thoughts?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Internet very slow in new place... what's the problem?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet very slow in new place... what's the problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not many yet.

I read your post twice and found little to work with. Tell more.
Bob

- Collapse -

The connection itself is not slow (a download can reach it's proper 5mbps), but browsing the web is.

- Collapse -
Stumper.

I can only think it's what changed since it worked. Since I can't find that in your posts I can only offer this idea.
Bob

- Collapse -
slow?

make sure your wires connecting are rj-45 at least cat5-e or cat 6, not more than 10'.
this can degrade the signal also

CNET Forums

Forum Info