HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Internet TV not working

by 94thMinute / August 19, 2010 10:10 PM PDT

Having recently purchased a Samsung UE32C6500, I connected it up to the internet using a cable coming out of the internet router (perhaps the detail used thus far will give an indication of my technical knowhow).

Having set it up, and run a test, the TV gave me 4 ticks, and said I was ready to go!

However on pressing the internet TV button, the internet screen opens up.. saying something along the lines of "Connect to the internet to use a whole load of features that will make your life AWESOME". This however is where the problem is, leaving this screen for a minute or so causes the TV to automatically revert to normal function (TV pictures); pressing the enter button at the internet TV start up page loads a second page, just saying INTERNET TV, again however, leaving this page for any amount of time causes it to revert to normal TV function.

I read somewhere that one of these pages was supposed to give me the option to accecpt an end user licence agreement, but such document never loads.

The TV has never been updated, asking it to update the software leaves it telling me that it can't do this (I presume because there isn't a newer software update

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet TV not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet TV not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) A patch cable or a crossed cable?
by Kees Bakker / August 19, 2010 10:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Could you give more detail?
by 94thMinute / August 19, 2010 10:38 PM PDT

I'm really sorry, I have no idea what either of those things are.

Collapse -
Re: Ethernet cables.
by Kees Bakker / August 19, 2010 10:55 PM PDT

A simplification. Say the cable has 2 wires and the connectors have 2 contacts, numbered 1 and 2. In a patch cable 1 is connected with 1 and 2 with 2. In a crossover cable, 1 is connected with 2 and 2 with 1. In fact, there are 8 wires and contacts, but the idea is the same.

The router uses 1 for sending the signal and 2 for receiving. The TV uses 1 for receiving the signal and 2 for sending. So you need a patch cable to connect sender 1 on the router with receiver 1 on the TV. That's a patch cable. If you use a crossover cable the sender on the router is connected to sender at the TV and nothing is ever received.

Much more detail in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8P8C

You can SEE what kind of cable you have. If both ends, viewed from above (the cable is a gigantic U then) look the same colored-wise (say, yellow at left and black at right, I didn't check) it's a patch cable. If they look mirrored, it's a crossover cable.
When in doubt, visit a computer shop and let them have a look.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank You!
by 94thMinute / August 19, 2010 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ethernet cables.

That has sorted the problem out perfectly! I'm not sure how it works, but it did!

Your advice is appreciated greatly!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.