Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Internet Speeds after Router

I have a TW Roadrunner cable internet connection and average about 5000 kbps speeds (When the Computer is wired directly to the Modem).

I add a Netgear WGT624 router to connect a PS3 & Xbox and average about 2000 KBPS at my computer. I took these speeds when the game systems were turned off. I do not use the wireless option on this router.

This is more of a drop than expected. What type of Ethernet cables should I use? Will cat6 cables help? Should I upgrade my router?

Thanks in advanced

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Speeds after Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Speeds after Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is there some sort of BIT TORRENT involved here?

In reply to: Internet Speeds after Router

While I will comment you have a bargain or cheap router that takes a bite out of the speed you might boost it if you can install Openwrt in that router. Sadly it's not the cables.

Then again I wonder if you tried it with the WIFI disabled. I can't count the time I found moochers on the wifi.
Bob

Collapse -
Hook up speed

In reply to: Internet Speeds after Router

Bob is pretty much right about your hardware but you could use CAT 6 cable, instead of CAT 5 and it might help a bit.

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Hook up speed

Collapse -
Try...

In reply to: Thanks!

"WGT624 (v2) 4.2.6_1.0.1 802.11g/b" is on the list. Is yours this or newer?

Also, get wired, disable that router wifi and test the speed. Too many try WEP or no wifi security and that will find moochers.

Collapse -
maybe moochers

In reply to: Try...

Yes, I have the (v2) with the newest firmware...I purchased this model because it was on the Xbox list.

I never use my wireless, so I took the advice and disabled it. Looks like I am getting better speeds (high 3000-low 4000 KBPS). My home backs up to a school parking lot, maybe I did have some moochers.

Still curious on what routers are recommended. My router is about 4 years old.

Collapse -
There's a clue.

In reply to: maybe moochers

If you look into this a bit deeper you find the newer revs of that router use a higher speed cpu. Not long ago they were not using the faster chips.

Borrow anyone's router?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.