Computer Help forum

General discussion

internet speed slow with new modem

my moms computer has had a slow connection since cox gave her a new terayon tj715x modem. its installed correctly, ive done pretty much everything i can think of (scandisk, defrag, recovery disk, new cat-5 cable, manually configured tcp/ip's, reconnected modem, called cox tech-they didnt know much-suggested same things i had already done.) im wondering if the new modem is incompatible with the ethernet card that is installed. I dont know what brand it is but it is old(it was installed new in late 98, early 99 timeframe). The computer is also old but still works good.500 mhz processor 224ram, o.s is windows 98. internet browser is updated to i.e 6 sp1. i am pretty much lost. any help would be great. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet speed slow with new modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet speed slow with new modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Checked for spyware?

In reply to: internet speed slow with new modem

I have yet to see an ethernet card incompatibility problem in my life. Ethernet technology has been around for over 20 years, so it's highly stable and understood at this point.

The one thing you don't mention having tried, is scanning for viruses and spyware on your mum's system. Since she uses IE, there's pretty much guaranteed to be some, it's just how much. Spyware is an ever growing threat, and IE is the primary means by which it gets onto a system, so a word to the wise is to migrate to something a little safer like Mozilla Firefox.

Anyway, why don't you describe what precautions you take to prevent viruses and clean up the inevitable spyware infestions that come with regular IE use.

Collapse -
checked for spyware before i recovered

In reply to: Checked for spyware?

yea i forgot to mention that. before i ran the recovery disk i used the free adaware scan to scan for that stuff. i quarantined all threats. i tried again and it was still slow so i recovered it and put symantec virus protection on it. do I need to install drivers for the ethernet card? If so, I have no idea where I could find them. I dont even know what brand ethernet card is in it. cant seem to find it on computer before or after i recovered it. It was installed by my sister after the computer was bought and she doesnt remember. i was reading something about the mac address of the modem needing to be registered by the isp. is this done by them before they give it to you or do i need to call them and register it. Im still very lost. any help?

Collapse -
Not enough

In reply to: checked for spyware before i recovered

One spyware scanning program isn't enough. It's basically a more the merrier sort of thing. No one program will catch everything.

You shouldn't need a driver for the NIC, since obviously things are working. As for the MAC address of the cable modem... If it weren't registered with the ISP, chances are things wouldn't be working at all.

There is a chance you got a defective cable modem. Try getting a replacement from the cable company and see if that makes a difference. It's a real long shot, but you've got nothing to lose by trying.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.