Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet speed i'm I getting what i'm paying for?

by Ganbayar1 / March 3, 2006 10:03 AM PST

I have a dell xps m140 with 1gb ram I,m running cable internet but it seems slow. The fastest i've seen a download is 100 /kb, am i getting rip by my cable company is thier a standard speed requirement that they should provide?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet speed i'm I getting what i'm paying for?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet speed i'm I getting what i'm paying for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some do, some don't
by ikjadoon / March 3, 2006 10:24 AM PST

I know most providers won't guarantee a set rate, but if you get about 80% of what you are asking for, then it is usually ok. Now, you see you get downloads at 100 kb. Downloading a file from a random server is not the best way to measure your true speed. Try these sites:

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

http://performance.toast.net/

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Usually, when you get slow downloads, it is usually because of your distance from the server, your computer speed, type of connection, etc. Are you using Wireless? I am supposed to be getting 3.0 Mbps of download speed, but guess what speed my demo downloaded at, a 560MB file? 140Kb average. Busy Busy server. hth

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
My Speeds
by ikjadoon / March 3, 2006 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Some do, some don't

Both tests were done on Speakeasy, Chicago IL.

On Wireless 54Mbps on a Dell Inspiron 2200: 1.4GHz Celeron M, 512MB Memory, 10 feet away from router.

Promised/True:

Downloads:3000/2160 (72%)
Uploads:384/317 (83%)

Download isn't what is promised, but then again, it is wireless.

On my Dell Dimension 3000, which is hardwired: 2.63GHz Celron, 1024 MB Memory

Promised/True:

Downloads:3000/2791 (93%)
Uploads:384/317 (83%)

Downloads were much much better. For the 37.95, I am getting, on average, 83%, not bad I guess.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
speed
by dave_2001 / March 5, 2006 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: My Speeds

our cable connection is supposed to be at 768 kbs im running 1,82ghz 768meg ram and running on network downloading at 1124 uploading at 386. not bad at all

it also depends on the internet traffic to how fast your connection is going to be.

Collapse -
Internet speeds
by El Alquimista / March 3, 2006 1:04 PM PST

You don't say what speed your cable company says you should get; many offer different speeds at different prices. But whatever speed they can support, what you actually get for a download depends on many factors that are beyond the control of the cable company, as was alluded to in Ibrahim's post. You probably have a car that can easily go 100 mph; but when you are in rush-hour traffic, you may do good to average 25 mph. Is that the car's fault? No.

But first, are you sure the the speed was 100 kb/sec (kilobits per second) and not 100 kB/sec (kilobytes per second? If you got the figure from the Windows download panel, it was the latter -- so the speed was really 800 kb/sec.

But this speed, as Ibrahim indicated, is not a measure of what speed your cable connection can support, but is mainly the speed that the server from which the file was being downloaded can support -- and as this depends in part on how many users are accessing that server at the moment, it can vary with time.

Within the past hour I downloaded a file; it averaged 68 kB/sec, equivalent to 544 kb/sec -- quite slow, as I have about the fastest cable connection available. I immediately ran about a dozen speed checks -- from the east coast, the west cost, the gulf coast, the upper midwest, and even Honolulu. All indicated speeds in excess of 5000 kb/sec, except for servers in Los Angeles and Honolulu, which indicated over 3000 kb/sec. Therefore, the slow download was not the fault of my cable connection, nor of heavy internet traffic, nor of distance. It was due to the server from which the file was being downloaded.

As Ibrahim said, don't judge your provider on the basis of random, uncontrolled servers -- use real speed test servers. He listed several test outfits.
The best, in my opinion, is dslreports.com (now renamed broadbandreports.com) because it gives you access to oveer 300 test servers worldwide -- including my personal favorite, Speakeasy with test servers from coast to coast.

The bottom line is that you probably are getting from your cable company what you are paying for -- it is just that some individual sites can not provide the speed that your cable company can accept.

Frank

Collapse -
Thanks
by Ganbayar1 / March 4, 2006 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Internet speeds

Thanks for the info
skeeter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?