General discussion

Internet slowing down

my internet connection is a 56 kbps with a 26.4 speed in a older HP Pavilion 6553 with very little runtime. I use Win 2000 Sp4. I seems like when I dial up a website it takes up to 2 Min. to get to the requested site. Also frequently my modem drops the connection, which is a PCI softV92 Modem. What can I do to speed things up, DSL is not possible.Thank you

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Internet slowing down
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet slowing down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You're probably looking at line noise or

a flaky modem. Your telco may be able to do a remote test of your line. I've not used dial-up in a long time but our line was subject to noise occasionally. It was worse during rain. I always had better luck with external modems as well. The "soft" type were commonly flaky as I recall.

- Collapse -
Internet slowing down

this is the second time this happened, same thing was with another PC, I would suspect the Phone Line first, The Modem in this Unit works fine fro time to time, acts up frequently.

- Collapse -
The clue I saw was the two different speeds

presuming both are V.92, it's probable that one modem handles the noise better than the other. I went through problems with my phone company as they only work with audible noise and would only guarantee fax modem (14.4) speed. I found the best modem to be the US Robotics Courier which gave me the best and most reliable connection which still was only about 50 k. I wish you luck but dial up is painful these days unless you go text only.

- Collapse -
Internet slowing down

I just installed a US Robotics Courier Dual Standard Modem and found a speed loss with it. I hooked up with 24Kbps. What is undesirable is the dial up noise, loud and noisy, is there anyway to eliminate this?

- Collapse -
it depends..

if your using IE you have to clear the cache once and a while and if your using another internet browser try deleting temporary files they lag the internet up..OR if your using IE addons for it can cause significant lag...

-Arobot12

CNET Forums

Forum Info