Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Internet Shortcuts on the desktop not working

by dand / March 29, 2013 5:45 PM PDT

I am running AOL 9.6 on a Win XP SP2 desktop. Does anyone out there know why Internet Shortcuts (ie those referencing a web site, rather than an internal system program) would have stopped working on my computer? (Internet Shortcuts can be created and placed on the desktop by right-clicking on any web page you're on, and then choosing 'create a shortcut' etc etc, --and they work well.)They have been working well for me for a long time.
I did recently download & install a new copy of IE8 (for other reasons), and I'm wondering if some setting(s)or preference(s) somewhere in IE8 may have gotten changed or dropped ?? Or maybe there's a setting somewhere in Windows or perhaps AOL that needs to be changed ?
Anyway, would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have on this.
Thanks,
Dan D. in NJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Shortcuts on the desktop not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Shortcuts on the desktop not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Creating New Ones?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 1:46 AM PDT

Particularly when you've changed versions of your browser, or when the URL changes on a website, you'll need to create new shortcuts.. Do new ones work? And if they don't, if you visit the same website using standard Bookmarks or Favorites within the browser, does that work correctly?

More importantly, since Service Pack 3 includes a number of fixes to the operating system, why doesn't this computer have SP3 installed? Heck, Service Pack 2 on Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.. This alone could be part of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Internet Shortcuts on the desktop not working (my response)
by dand / March 30, 2013 7:04 AM PDT

TO: Grif Thomas
Grif,,
Thanks for your quick response. You have helped me a couple of times in the past.
re. this present issue:
(1) Newly created desktop Internet Shortcuts also fail the same way (they simply will not execute). And, yes, if those same web sites/pages are placed in AOL Favorites --they do work fine (it's only the desktop Internet Shortcuts that fail), so in that sense, it's not a complete show stopper or anything for me.

and (2) I cannot move up to SP3 on this computer for a couple of hardware/software reasons; wish I could. (It's an 8 yr old Gateway, SP2 is fully updated, 2 Gb memory, High speed Fios internet connection, all the latest Java and IE8 browser versions and all, completely free and clean of of any Virus & Malware, CCleaner keeps all files purged daily, a good/highly reliable Registry Mechanic utility (from PC Tools) keeps the registry in tip-top condition, and overall the machine performs excellently --without ever a problem or even an issue. I keep it in really good shape! (Cant get to SP3 though; it (SP3) downloads OK but fails on the 'install' phase --claiming it can't acess the registry? I believe it probably has to do with some 'permissions' or something that somehow got changed a long time ago?, and would now require some kind of involved 'special script code' to be written etc etc. --and that's a little beyond my level. Anyway, it runs so perfect on SP2 that I would never attempt to make/pursue changing up to SP3 again (having heard and read about some of the frustrations users have incurred there; just not worth it for me at this time --when at the first real serious hardware failure I'll undoubtedly move up to a whole new computer system.

Thanks again, Will look forward to hearing back from you with any suggestions.
Dan D.in NJ

(If all else fails, I'll probably try "System Restore'ing" to back before I did the last "IE3 replacement", and if that doesn't work also, I have a "Clone" set up on an external HD, where I can bring back the total C &D disk as it existed a couple of month ago.)
Thanks Grif

Collapse -
As To Installing SP3
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 9:49 AM PDT

See the link below.. Sometimes, you need to log in as the hidden "Administrator" user to make it install correctly and don't perform the "Online" installation of SP3.. Download the offline version per the instructions belowhttp://forums.cnet.com/7726-6121_102-2951182.html..

Update: Preparing Your Windows XP Computer For SP3

Unfortunately, you're going to receive poor support unless you move up.. It's your choice ....but the problems you're experiencing are probably related to Internet Explorer (if you're using IE as your primary browser), and I believe IE 8 is supported on SP2, but just barely..

In the meantime, you could try "re-setting" Internet Explorer in "Internet Options-Advanced tab-Reset button at the bottom of the page..".. It might get things going for you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.