Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Internet Security Suites

by bobclark19 / February 10, 2007 1:49 AM PST

Because of the free offers I am trying to decide between the latest versions of Norton's Security Suite, MacAfee, CA and Kaspersky. Does anyone have any opinions on which is better and the pros and cons for each. I am not a novice user, but am not a geek either. I am using a HP zd8000 notebook, running Windows XP Home. Thanks all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Security Suites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Security Suites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Norton and Kaspersky - Internet Security Suite
by Donna Buenaventura / February 10, 2007 2:09 AM PST

I have both of them. I'm on trial version of KIS v6 and I have subscription for NIS 2007.
Both are good.

I like the Anti-hacker of KIS v6 because it works like Outpost Firewall Pro (where the rule is based on IP address - auto-detected by Outpost and KIS v6).

My only concern with KIS is the CPU usage. KIS slow down my system a lot. I uninstalled it and install in a non-virtual and virtual system but CPU usage of KIS is similar. It's huge IMHO but again, the antivirus and anti-hacker function is nice to use.

Take a look at the screenshots:
NIS CPU usage (while system is idle) : http://www.dozleng.com/images/blog/avp.jpg
KIS CPU usage (while system is idle) : http://www.dozleng.com/images/blog/nis.jpg

I haven't try suite by CA and McAfee. Let's hope someone here will share their thoughts or experience on those and also on NIS and KIS.

Collapse -
Thanks for the follow up
by bobclark19 / February 12, 2007 2:47 PM PST

Thanks for your input - still not sure - checked some websites and all give different opinions. According to the KIS package and website they claims they are heads above, but some of the other comments raised issues. If you or anyone else come across a trusted web site comparison please let me know. Thanks again

Collapse -
It is sure to see different opinions :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / February 12, 2007 3:08 PM PST

Different users has different likes and dislikes on the product. Everyone has different system configuration too so what will work to some might not work to others. I suggest you try the suite yourself by downloading the trial version and see which one you'll keep. Or maybe go to standalone tools.

I like KIS v6 and NIS 2007.
They are both good security suite. I prefer the advanced features of KIS v6 over NIS 2007. However, KIS v6 is using too much resources (30,000K - 58,000K) that I don't see in NIS 2007 (4,000K to 5,000K only).

Maybe if I will upgrade my memory (RAM) from 1GB to 2GB, the system will not experience being pulled with KIS v6 on.
I've disabled 'web-antivirus' and 'scanning of critical areas' but KIS still making the system slow including the boot-up process.

No time yet to try McAfee and CA suites :-D

Collapse -
I haven't the complete Suite of Computer Associates but...
by DarCLew2 / February 12, 2007 4:18 PM PST

I haven't had any problems with the Antivirus in 3 years. In 2004, I dropped Norton SystemWorks. which I used to have for 3+ years. Prior to that, had McAFee for 6 mos. All of McAfee is free with AOL, which I have. When I find something better, then I will change it. Usually, anything that a suite, I avoid since there could be an Achilles heel. I have used Ad-Aware SE for antispyware as my #1 followed by AVG's for it is an active and follow with Spybot S&D. Firewall is a different matter and I bet there are too many ones to choose from.
Darrell L.

Collapse -
CA AV is nice also
by Donna Buenaventura / February 12, 2007 5:20 PM PST

I tried the v8 of CA AV in Vista last year (while it is in Beta phase). Quite good in detection. It detects "infected-phished" messages too in email.

Some users don't like suite while others prefer suite. Any approach (standalone or suites) a user will use is correct. Nothing wrong in using suites. Nothing wrong in using standalone tools. Some users prefer suites because it is convenient, cheaper, easy to maintain. If you have more than 1 computer or if you are corporate user, license in suites is "attractive".
However most suites are using more disk space and memory.

Some users prefer standalone because it is lighter to use (not much resources is used) but you got to maintain more.

Again, IMHO both method works.
What matters is the used security tool is still "supported" by the security vendor so upgrade on their scanner or engine is provided not only the definitions.
I discussed this before in Calendar of Updates:
http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=6371

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!