Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Internet Router - Which to get for security?

I've been using a router for a while, but I lost the disc to it. The firmware is still available for it online. Well, the new computer doesn't seem to pick up the Internet connection thru the router and I've tried many things to make it work. No success. So, I decided to have the router connect directly back to the previous computer and use the 2nd port on the router for this new computer. Well... The previous computer isn't detecting the Internet connection anymore. I dunno why.

I'm going to buy another router, so I can get a disc.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3592012

This is same or similar to the one I have. Mine model number for the router is WRT54GS.

I would like a router that offers firewall and security protection, etc. I uses the AOL Security Suite, which includes a firewall from McAfee.

Anything else?

Thunder

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Router - Which to get for security?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Router - Which to get for security?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you know that all routers have a firewall?

In reply to: Internet Router - Which to get for security?

That's by definition of NAT works. If one defines a firewall to have blocked unsolicited requests, then all routers do this out of the box.

But the link you gave is not a bad deal and a known good product so why not?

Frankly I fear that your new router will suffer the same malady as your old setup. If the old router works with one machine but not another it's never been a router failure.

Bob

Collapse -
I know...

In reply to: Did you know that all routers have a firewall?

All routers is a firewall. Just checking if there any other more advanced.

Well, I just explained, I connected the router back to the other computer and strangely, the other computer isn't picking up the Internet connection anymore.

Thunder

Collapse -
Maybe

In reply to: I know...

you plugged the cable from the modem into a LAN port instead of the WAN port. Since the ISP is giving you only one IP, only one computer will have internet. Check your connections (and your user manual!).

Collapse -
WRT54GS is a great router. Keep it.

Your WRT54GS is a much better router than the one in the WKPC54G kit. Keep it.

Essentially all of today's popular routers may be configured through through a Web browser. A disc is not necessary. You may access your router's administration page by browsing to http://192.168.1.1

If one computer can access the Internet through the router but another can't, then it's very likely the problem is on the computer that can't access the Internet.

Make sure you download and install the latest firmware for the WRT54GS.

Collapse -
Explaining again.

In reply to: WRT54GS is a great router. Keep it.

The router on C1 was working, then I unplugged everything from that computer and set it aside. C2 was all plugged in and set up. Later, I try the router on C2, but no success. I tried the router back on C1 and strangly, that C1 isnt picking up the connection anymore.

I'm going to look at the wires set up carefully and see what happens.

I do have the latest firmware for it. Do I need drivers for it?

Thunder

Collapse -
Routers don't require drivers

In reply to: Explaining again.

The router requires no drivers.

The network adapters (wired or wireless) need to have the latest drivers.

Your computers need to be free of all viruses, spyware, malware, etc. Getting rid of P2P software helps.

You need to tell the computers how you connect to the Internet. In XP, I use Network Setup Wizard for this.

Depending on what type if Internet service you have, you may need to install the connection software that the ISP gave you. This is usually true for DSL.

If you follow the directions from your ISP for using a router with their service, they may tell you to clone a certain MAC address in your router's settings.

Definitely try a network cable that is known to work.

The more details you provide about your setup, the more we may be able to help you. For instance:

Who is your ISP?
What is type of service do you have (cable, DSL, other)?
What is your broadband modem's model number?
Is each computer able to access the router's administration page when connected with a good network cable to a numbered port on the router?

Collapse -
Also try powering off the modem and router

In reply to: Explaining again.

Also rry unplugging the power from both your router and broadband modem for at least 30 seconds and then plug them in again. This sometimes solves the problem

Collapse -
Its working!

I downloaded the easy connect software from the site and I finally got to setting it up just now and its working. Happy

Thunder

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.