PC Applications forum

General discussion

Internet Protection for the non-tech, non-savvy end-user????

OK, let me preface this request for advice with an admission. I not a computer guru, nor am I particularly tech/software/hardware savvy. I am very much an end-user who is quite satisfied with continuing to believe the inner workings of my desktop & laptop is magic, run by elves or fairies. And quite honestly, my life is too chaotic to invest time to teach myself...at least for the time being.

So, in that context, I purchased Norton Internet Security & Norton System Works Basic for my desktop, company laptop & my brand-new dual core 2 Dell laptop. I had had very positive experiences...at least I feel they were positive...in the past with Norton AV; so I decided to take the plunge & put the whole package on board. Let's just say I am not impressed with the significant slow-down of all functioning of the desktop. Even worse, the damned set up so gummed up the older laptop that I had to remove all due to system paralysis! Only the brand new laptop seems to have the "power" to run the Norton Boat Anchor package with turning into molasses in winter. Oh, both of the computers I am pissing & moaning about are really old - less than 3 years old - and, w/o this Norton BoatAnchor, they are both very fast machines.

Now that I have lain all of this info on the table, is there someone out there with sufficient knowledge & experience who can recommend a simple to load, set up & operate comprehensive internet protection package? I certainly am willing to purchase/download a suite or a collection of compatible individual programs - matters not to me. However, I do want to get something that works well, is compatible AND does not require college classes to achieve this.

I am all ears...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Protection for the non-tech, non-savvy end-user????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Protection for the non-tech, non-savvy end-user????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Neglected to include...

In reply to: Internet Protection for the non-tech, non-savvy end-user????

Neglected to include requisite tech info.

Desktop: Gateway / Windows XPPro / regularly updated
Old Laptop: Gateway / Windows XPPro / regularly updated
New Laptop: Dell / Windows XPPro / regularly updated

Collapse -
Here's what I use. All personal choices.

Free AVG Antivirus.
Free AVG AntiSpyware.
Zone Alarm.

I rarely use Internet Explorer so I don't see other people's issues. I also don't preview email (still running Outlook 2000) which we all know that even the preview of email is risky.

I've added POPFILE for my email antispam.

Browser on this machine is Seamonkey and Firefox. Still need to look at Opera.

Cost? You betcha.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!

In reply to: Here's what I use. All personal choices.

Thanks for the reply, but I must confess, I am a bit confused. I went to PCWorld to check out their recommendations on this questions &, of course, they strongly recommended the "Big 3", in the exact order of market share - odd huh? I ***/u/me there are marketing/advertising/monetary forces at work here, but they really panned the AVG products as being "clunky", "slow" & having "one of the worst user interfaces ever experienced". However, perusing these forums have shown quite a supportive view by the members here for the AVG suite of products.

Are the 'pay for' AVG products superior / inferior / equivocal to the FREEware? Are there any advantages I would be missing out on by going with the FREEware vs the pay-for versions?

By the way, what does everyone think of the CA anti-virus & internet security products? The less-than-helpful teenager at Staples clumsily tried to steer me towards that brand.

Collapse -
No magazine or store will note my list.

In reply to: Thanks Bob!

Here's why. How would they benefit from that?

Also, why would a store ever mention Open Office from http://www.openoffice.org ?

-> The discussion about "the best" antivirus is over in our security forum. I'll decline to enter into that fracas but note what I use and that nothing happens here.

Bob

Collapse -
Here's my "Anti-Spyware Suite" list. . .

In reply to: Thanks Bob!

Collapse -
useful stuff

In reply to: Here's my "Anti-Spyware Suite" list. . .

Thanx for the goodies. I'm going to see if I like your splitter better than my own.

Collapse -
Internet Protection

Hi Dave, Ive been surfing around on this internet for awhile now,and have tried lot's of different programs to achieve harmony with my machine, not always an easy task. Here are my personal choices for the best security apps, they are all free and work well together and I have no problems whatsoever with any of them.
AVG antivrus
Avast antivirus
I use 2 antivirus, I'm a little obsessive, they work great together.
Zonealarm
Spyware Blaster - this prevents spyware from installing itself on your machine, works great

Collapse -
Maybe?

I bought the Norton Internet Security 2007 and downloaded the 13mg add-on. It didn't seem to slow the computers down at all.
I got the 3 user disc and loaded it on 3 computers and it didn't effect any of them.
I'm wondering if it is the System Works that is slowing down your systems.

Collapse -
my short list...

antivirus:
AVG Free

antispyware:
Windows Defender and AVG Anti-Spyware Free

firewall:
Sunbelt Kerio (free version)

browser "anti-hijacker":
SpywareBlaster

host intrusion prevention:
Novatix Cyberhawk

Everything on this list is on my two systems here, except one. I use NetVeda Safety.Net for my firewall, but you wouldn't be able to use it. Kerio is much easier to use, and will protect you just fine.

Collapse -
one more thing...

In reply to: my short list...

I forgot to mention McAfee SiteAdvisor. It works with Internet Explorer and Firefox. It will help keep you out of trouble. If a webpage gets a gray, yellow, or red rating from SiteAdvisor, you should stay away from it. If you click a link in a green page, and suddenly wind up on a red page, just click the "Back" button or close the browser.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.