Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

internet properties(options)

by needhelp979 / February 15, 2007 11:08 AM PST

What are the best or correct settings? So that I have full access without putting my computer at risk with a virus.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet properties(options)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet properties(options)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too many variables....
by steve749 / February 15, 2007 11:17 AM PST

Are you using Dial-up, DSL, Cable, or some other type of connection? Do you have a router or hardware firewall in addition to your system's firewall? Do you have just 1 computer or do you have your own internal network of computers? Those are a few of starting questions as the answers for one case may not apply in another case.

I think to have "full access" would kind of require putting it at some risk as after all, wouldn't that imply someone else could take control of your computer? Just think about what do you mean by "full access" as for me this would imply a nearly useless firewall in a sense while most folks likely do have things configured so that some things aren't done remotely on their machine like say taking it over.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
thanks
by needhelp979 / February 15, 2007 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Too many variables....

i am using highspeed.(roadrunner)and how do i check for an additinal firewall other than windows? i am new at this so please bare with me.

Collapse -
IE Settings
by Stan Chambers / February 15, 2007 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

If you're using Internet Explorer, I would recommend the default settings. Your modem has a hardware firewall and if you run the Windows firewall, you should have reasonable protection.
That said, you also need an updated antivirus program, along with some spyware utilities, just in case something slips through.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!