HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet on newly built desktop EXTREMELY slow.

by Maxter10001 / March 21, 2011 11:24 AM PDT

So I recently built my first desktop. Everything was going fine until my internet started acting up. After a day or two it became unbearably slow. I attempted to download Itunes and the download speed got down to 85 bytes/second. Not megabytes, not kilobytes but individual bytes. Here's the specs of the computer:

Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Processor
Western Digital 500GB 32MB cache 3.5" Hard Drive
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
3xG.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 RAM (12GB of RAM total)
MSI N460GTX CYCLONE GeForce GTX 460 Graphics Card
Windows 7 64bit
I also have the computer hooked up to the internet through a hard wired network (Ethernet cable from the router through a NetGear wifi extender into the computer).

I don't think it's the internet itself as I have taken other computers (two laptops) and disabled their wireless capabilities then hooked them up through the exact same setup as my desktop and the internet was running great on both of them. I also heard that this could be a problem with viruses and spyware. The only sites I visited (Google Chrome download page, Minecraft.net and Ign.com) wouldn't have given me any malware. The programs and games I have on the desktop I downloaded on the laptops and transferred via USB stick. I also trust all the programs (Minecraft, Battle for Wesnoth, winrar and Itunes). Any and all help with this problem is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet on newly built desktop EXTREMELY slow.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet on newly built desktop EXTREMELY slow.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What about a test?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 11:32 PM PDT

I'm not technically minded so I may have misunderstood the setup here.

You said this computer is hooked up to the internet through a hard wired network, ethernet cable from the router through a Netgear 'wifi' extender. That Netgear wifi extender looks like wireless to me.

Assuming my poor technical knowledge has not let me down, what happens if you remove the wireless connection and connect directly via ethernet cable to the router? It might show immediately whether the wifi is a problem.

If so, then at least you have a start point for diagnoses.

If not, what about anti-virus and anti-malware scans? Since the internet worked well for the first two days or so it doesn't look like a hardware or driver problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Fixed.
by Maxter10001 / March 22, 2011 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: What about a test?

I really should have done more trouble shooting before posting. I took out the wifi extender and had it hardwired directly to the router, like you said, and now it's working like a champ (I was eventually going to do that but I thought it was something other than the wifi extender)! Thanks again for the help.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.