Question

Internet not connecting

Windows XP wireless connection to Belkin router, Plusnet ADSL to internet.
Strange problem... router to internet perfectly OK - validated via Iphone. Boot up PC, no internet connection. Network schematic shows PC to Router OK, router to internet failed. Re-validate router via Iphone - OK. After much fiddling with IE, Firefox, connection eventually starts heralded by Skype connection. Hard reboot repeated several times and internet available immeditely. Nothing I've done to make a difference I believe. So what could be preventing connection initially? The router shows both PC and Iphone connections.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Internet not connecting
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet not connecting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Ok I see ASDL

But no ADSL modem or model number so I can't tell if that is configured as a modem only or the more common ISP supplied ADSL modem/router/wifi thing.
Bob

- Collapse -
It's ADSL/modem/wifi/router

It's the latter - modem/router/ADSL. Can't tell you the model # as I'm away at present. Been working fine for 12 months or so until last 3-4 weeks.

- Collapse -
Aha?

So that's broken? Did you try a new one?

The setup is not detailed enough but with your last post you are telling me that something failed. Taking a page from the book, I'm told to replace the failed part.
Bob

- Collapse -
What's failed?

The router still provides wireless internet (as proven via my iphone), and the PC connects to the router but can't see the internet. So where is the failure?

- Collapse -
So it's a PC issue and not the wireless internet?

If so, why not write about the PC? The problem as presented tells a lot about things but reading this discussion finds little about the PC.
Bob

- Collapse -
The PC

Standard Windows XP Home, up-to-date service pack etc. etc. Has been working ok for 12-months. Now, fails to give internet access for 10-15 minutes then hey presto internet starts working. PC fully booted after 3-4 minutes so idle. Services such as Skype, firewall, antivirus all failed to connect and/or update. Antivirus scan run after connection - all clean.

- Collapse -
Still little to work with.

I'd look at anything not stock such as an added firewall or such but for now let's take Grif's advice for scans at 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

If you want to tell all about the PC that's good. If not you can see about sharing the HIJACKTHIS log but be sure to click the icon to the right to ensure the forum does not mangle what you paste in.
Bob

CNET Forums