Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

internet laggs whit windows xp

by kove99 / September 8, 2006 2:50 PM PDT

umm.. after i reinstaled windowsXP for the 2nd time now i still got this realy weird lagg when playing online games like battlefield2, warcraft3 etc, its like 2-3min betwen each lagg and it makes everything stop for 4-5 seconds each time it happens..

ive tried to, reinstal my network card drivers, reinstal xp, checked for spyware/virus, toned down the winXP theme.. i even changed my cable out of desperation to fix this..
it cant be my isp/router because im am the only one in this lan im at that has this problem atm so only thing i can think of is its something wrong whit xp itself?

here is a picture of what happens on my network after playing BF2 for 10min, it froze 3 times there.. ***?

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gamelagzu6.jpg

so hmm.. any suggestions on this ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet laggs whit windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet laggs whit windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What???..................
by Trance_Zac / September 8, 2006 7:05 PM PDT

Are your system specs?
IE:
CPU speed, RAM & RAM speed, Graphics Card, Power Supply Wattage

When you start messing with gaming - you have to have everything in synch.

Why do you think top end gamers like Alienware are between $4,000 + $6,000 ???

The basic home PC can't game - done deal!!!

Collapse -
PS:.....................
by Trance_Zac / September 8, 2006 7:08 PM PDT

In the end it's cheaper by far to but an X-Box or Playstation!!

Collapse -
system spec
by kove99 / September 8, 2006 7:29 PM PDT

my pc is a little old but i could play anything on win2k whitout any problems..

But specs are: 1.9ghz amd athlon xp, 1.7gb DDR RAM, RADEON X1600 512MB and from what i remember it whas atleast 460watt on power supply.. imo that should be enough to run warcraft 3 whitout any lagg but.. it does. Grin

Collapse -
Gotta Remember...........
by Trance_Zac / September 8, 2006 7:35 PM PDT
In reply to: system spec

Win 2K needs way less RAM than XP just to run itself!

You say 1.7 GB RAM??? (odd amount, but plenty)

Probably time for a CPU & Vid card upgrade

Did you ever check the websites for the game syou're playing for specs & recommended cards??

Things change fast!!

Collapse -
hmm
by kove99 / September 9, 2006 6:37 AM PDT

hmm no i havent checked but on windows 2000 everything worked fine and its basicly the same drivers i used on win2k as on xp so i dunno what to do now..

Collapse -
In other words................
by Trance_Zac / September 9, 2006 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Win 2 K will run faster & out-perform XP on any given computer

Try testing your RAM with memtest86 (google)

How did you come up with 1.7 MB RAM???
How mant sticks & what sizes?

Could be a bad stick!

Collapse -
ram
by kove99 / September 9, 2006 9:52 AM PDT

i think i got one 1gig and one 512mb and one 200 something

Collapse -
nmv
by kove99 / September 9, 2006 2:24 PM PDT

*fixed*

Turns out it whas zonealarm causing the problem.. ^^

Collapse -
Lag problems also
by MStewart1 / September 10, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: nmv

How did you know it was Zone Alarm causing your problem and what is Zone Alarm? I'm having lag or latency problems with my XP as of just lately and it is driving me bonkers!! Any help would be awesome. PC is a Pentium4 2.8 with 1.5 gig Ram and a Nvidia7600 graphics card with DSL never had this problem a little while ago. I also run Norton Anti virus NoAdware, Registry Fix, Bug Doctor and defrag weekly.
Thanks Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?