HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

internet is working but there is no wifi signal

by krhunter / June 7, 2014 5:21 PM PDT

I'm not really sure what the problem is. This happened yesterday. My internet is working fine and like normal, but in the corner where I usually see the bars of my wifi signal there's nothing there. When I try to connect on my phone it says "unable to connect to network". When I click on the box to look at the connection options, it says I have a strong signal, and that I'm already connected. But then when I click on my network, it gives me the option to connect. I feel like I should call my internet company, but I'm not sure what to tell them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet is working but there is no wifi signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet is working but there is no wifi signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Remember you did not reveal the model of the router/wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 1:35 AM PDT

The usual is to restart the network gear but no models noted so why not call them? That is, they usually have you power cycle the gear in case it got hung up.

There is more such as your machine. My wife last week had a similar problem but on her laptop there's this button to turn off the wifi. It was off but the network control panel was doing odd things like you noted.
Bob

Collapse -
???
by krhunter / June 8, 2014 6:34 AM PDT

layman's terms, I don't understand anything you said

Collapse -
If turning it off and on or power cycling the gear
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: ???

Is not layman's terms then make the call and have them fix it. Watch what they do so you can repeat it the next time.
Bob

Collapse -
model?
by krhunter / June 8, 2014 6:35 AM PDT

idk the model? I have AT&T, that new internet thing they have, I forget what it's called

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need help!
by Danieldean05 / August 7, 2016 4:00 AM PDT

I currently have a similar problem. The router is on and it shows that I have internet. However, my iPad/iPhone/laptop can't find the router on wifi. I see my neighbor's wifi, but I can't see mine.

I connected my computer to the router using a cat5 cable and immediately got internet access. This proves that I have internet and the issue is wifi signal.

I've reset it by both turning it off and unplugging but still won't work.

Collapse -
Try a WAP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 7, 2016 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Need help!

A WAP is a Wireless Access Point, that you connect to the router with an Ethernet cable.
A nice solution if the routers own WiFi doesn't work anymore, and possibly somewhat cheaper than a new router (although you have to take a electricity costs into account also, if it's on 24/7).

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Same type of issue
by veebeemee / November 6, 2017 12:47 PM PST

Did you ever fix this? I woke up to the same sort of thing, and there's little posted online in forums for help. And it's only my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet that's affected. Internet works when I try any website and downloading email, but the network icon has disappeared. The "hot keys", or whatever they're called, show the internet button as half ghosted out..as in faint blue. Weird.

Collapse -
This old post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2017 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Same type of issue

Is now closing. Create a new discussion as what is here, is from years ago and most folk have moved to new gear and issues.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
call them
by aboveinfranet / June 10, 2014 4:21 PM PDT

No harm in calling them up, that's the tech support's job. It might be caused by a faulty device or sim.

Collapse -
Answer
Anaonymous Problem
by Sarahts01 / June 11, 2014 5:51 PM PDT

it look like your router configuration setting need change and try to update router firmware with the help of ISP or third party support.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: internet working but no wifi signal
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 6:01 PM PDT

I wonder if this is a problem with your router or with your phone. I think the last, but the discussion is only about the first. Can you tell more? it would be especially interesting to know if another device (say, your laptop or your friends phone or tablet) can't connect either or if it's only your phone that gives troubles..

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Tech Support/ Passkey change will help
by Alycecruz / June 11, 2014 8:46 PM PDT

I faced the same problem sometime back, strong connection on the face of it but couldn't connect my phone to the Wi-Fi actually. Then I came to know that the Passkey on my Modem was changed by one of my family members and when I used the new Passkey/Passkey, It worked absolutely fine for me from there on. So please check for that.

And if still the problem persists for you then you should definitely take help of some Tech Support service or an engineer.

Collapse -
Answer
netcut
by zahid_hasan_171 / May 26, 2017 7:49 PM PDT

using ''netcut'' softwere anyone can cut down your wifi...
there are some others softwere to...which will confused u

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.