Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Internet is not working properly.

by shadowy21 / December 6, 2014 7:52 PM PST

My internet is connected but not working properly. Downloads stop after a few kb, pages don't load, torrents are not working, etc.
The thing is that I called tech support for My ISP (RDS Romania) and they brought a laptop on which they connected the cable, and on their machine it was working fine.
I also took my PC to a friend's house (with exactly the same ISP and internet plan, cable, modem, everything) and his internet was working on my PC.
My internet plan is for 1000 mbps, and it wasn't working. I changed the network card options to limit it to 100 mbps and it worked for a few days until I tried some commands (reseting ipv4,ipv6 and winsock, changed MTU from 1500 to 1492) to make 1000 mbps work, then it stopped working at all, even at 100 mbps.
my specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
NEW Network card: D-Link DGE-528 T Gibabit Ethernet Adapter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet is not working properly.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet is not working properly.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: intrenet doesn't work
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2014 8:25 PM PST

Two questions to start with:
1. Does it work in its current configuration with you friend? If not, first get it working there and try again at home.
2. Does your friends PC work with you? If not, it's not your PC that is in error, but the thing (router, modem?) it is connected to and beyond.

Isn't 1 Gbps very fast for an internet connection? Where I live, even a glass fiber connection usually is limited to 100 Mbps for consumers, 200 Mbps for small and medium businesses.
1 Gbps equals a 2 hour movie in standard DVD quality (4.7 GB) downloaded in 10 seconds or so. You can't even write it to your hard disk that fast.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: intrenet doesn't work
by shadowy21 / December 6, 2014 8:40 PM PST

1. Yes, my PC works with the curent configuration on both 1gbps full dublex and 100mbps full dublex. After i saw that it worked on my friend, i went directly home, pluged my cable and voila, i had the same problem as before.
2. I know i should have tested this too, but i have my own laptop which doesn't work with my cable. So it's not my PC only.

Yes, 1gbps is a very fast connection(my country was top10 at internet speed). There is a PC spec requirement to get the maximum potencial of the speed, and i have those requirements even an SSD + it worked on my friend's house at 1gbps.

Collapse -
Re: Internet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2014 9:00 PM PST

To summarize:
1. All your current devices (PC and laptop) don't work at your home.
2. All your devices (PC and laptop) do work elsewhere.
3. The laptop of the provider does work at your home.
4. Any other laptop or phone does work at your home (did you check?).

That's strange indeed. But since it used to worked and given #4, I'd go back to factory conditions on your PC and try again.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Internet
by shadowy21 / December 6, 2014 9:11 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Internet

Pretty much yes, tho internet never worked as it should at 1gbps on my devices only if i manually was selecting 100mbps full duplex.
So, even if i go to factory conditions on my PC which i already did with the netsh commands and by reinstalling my network adapter (neither of them made my internet to work again on 100mbps at least) and if there are more options to reset and go even deeper into factory conditions, except a fresh installation of OS, i would like to know (maybe some leftover registry or i don't know..).

I also want to mention i reinstalled Windows 7 and tried with Windows 8,neither of this changed anything. Also i tried a live linux where i had the same problem with internet.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's say all your gear is good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2014 2:00 AM PST

How are you dealing with denial of service attacks when you torrent? There is no real cure for that as if you torrent some movie, and mind you this is WELL DISCUSSED it's known that there are attacks mounted on your connection to interfere with the torrent.

Some folk fly apart at such but it's the way of torrent users.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?