Dell forum

Question

Internet Interruptions

by jeboots / November 25, 2011 7:02 AM PST

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop. It has a 1390 Wireless WLan Min-card. I recently reformatted my hard drive. I now Have it all setup the way I like it. But one small thing. When I'm surfing the web the internet will be Interrupted. I will hit refresh for like 20secs and then it will come back. Or I have to repair the network. But at no time will the taskbar icon say or be disconnected. What should I have my setting set to on the card?Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Interruptions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Interruptions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Who says it's your machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Interruptions
Collapse -
Answer
Got your spam report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Interruptions

The issue is real and could be a factor. While you did reload the machine, you didn't supply all the details.

We know drops occur if you hide the SSID or use WEP but until you tell more, I can't write the dozens of causes the forum and members know about.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by jeboots / November 25, 2011 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Got your spam report.

Ok sorry I just didn't understand the post. I use WPA for security. Also use MAC address. Don't hide the network anymore.

Collapse -
MAC filtering can cause drops on some routers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

The CNET Networking forum advice is:

a. Router latest firmware.
b. Router defaults.
c. Only what the ISP requires and simple SSID.
d. WPA and WPA2 if possible with AES password/encryption.

After many years this seems to work when other setups don't. And sorry but for those that insist on MAC filters or hidden SSIDs, I have to refer folk back to the router makers.
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless
by jeboots / November 25, 2011 9:18 AM PST

Ok, so just disable the MAC address?

Collapse -
Sorry. But this is technical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless

Today's LANs rely on MAC addresses. If I disabled the MAC address (which I doubt anyone can do!) the device would not be of this LAN.

I suggest we disable MAC address filtering. And if you feel it should work fine with it on, but it does not, I defer to the maker's support.
Bob

Collapse -
wireless
by jeboots / November 25, 2011 10:02 AM PST

Ok, I use the MAC address filtering to be more secure. But is WPA good enough? I live in an apartment complex.

Collapse -
Then I have to defer to the router maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: wireless

Sorry, but this has some very long discussions. Let's let the router maker support this.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. The RF or WiFi channel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: Got your spam report.

Try AUTO as well as what looks open. Be aware of the US/EURO channel differences.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.