Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Internet Interruptions

by ninenot / December 29, 2009 12:49 AM PST

Over the last several days, my SBC internet service has regularly disconnected.

I'm using their DSL (mid-grade package), a D-Link 624 router for wireless, SBC's Speedstream modem. The computer is hooked by hard-wire through the D-Link.

System is WinXP, using Firefox.

About every 2-3 hours the service goes down. This requires that I shut down the computer, shut off the router, unplug all the cables (power, in/out DSL) from the router, wait 10 seconds, re-power the modem, plug in all the router cables, and re-start the computer.

While that procedure solves the problem, it's only temporary.

Any hints?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Interruptions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Interruptions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Speedstream?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Interruptions

And what part of the system do you think is at fault? Nothing in your post tells us which part you suspect but only how you reboot.

Collapse -
Modem
by ninenot / December 29, 2009 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Which Speedstream?

Speedstream 5100.

I do not KNOW wht the problem is....

Collapse -
Cool modem+router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Modem
Collapse -
You didn't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Modem

About any other connections such as wifi.

Once you get back to connecting with just the DSL modem+router without the wifi router and if it seems ok, try this setup next time -> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

This can sidestep some issues.
Bob

Collapse -
You Shouldn't Need To Unplug The Cables
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 1:07 AM PST

Just power down/up everything as you've described. The cables can stay connected..

And at this point, have you contacted SBC? It's frequently an issue on their end and a tech could fix it.

Next, try troubleshooting.. Remove the router entirely from the equation.. Plug the computer directly to the modem. Does that fix the issue? If not, then swap in new cables.. If that doesn't help, then the modem is the probable culprit..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Interruptions
by ninenot / December 29, 2009 1:42 AM PST

Yes, I've contacted SBC--three times.

I kinda hoped you wouldn't suggest that it could be the D-Link--but it's about 4 years old.

Next time this happens, the D-Link goes out of the loop. Would you like a few daughters (temporarily) while their wireless connection is dead?

Collapse -
Internet Interruptions
by ninenot / December 29, 2009 2:33 AM PST

I opened the log on the Dlink and found a large number of recent entries like this: Smurf Attack Detect 192.168.0.1:8 192.168.0.1:0 Packet Dropped

Could that be a problem?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 2:40 AM PST

There are some routers that fail under such attacks.

My thought here is to go back to using the DSL MODEM and ROUTER (not this wifi router) for a moment then when that's running add the WIFI ROUTER set up as a WAP as noted in the above link.

Yes, new wifi router firmware might help. WPA might help but I'll stick to what I setup for others today.
Bob

Collapse -
Interruptions
by ninenot / December 29, 2009 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

OK, I think I can follow that schematic and run the install.

But what about this "smurf" stuff? Is that currently running around the 'net?

Collapse -
The list of attacks
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Interruptions

Can't fit in this small space. Even the old blaster attacks are still underway a decade later. Why? It's really simple -> People reinstall an OS and it's an old OS. They hook the reloaded machine up to the internet and it gets the old blaster!
Bob

Collapse -
Yep, Update The Firmware Plus......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Interruptions

.those smurf attacks are DoS type of attacks which are the result of ping requests. If your modem/router has the appropriate settings, try disabling the "respond to pings" or "discard ping from WAN"option. It should then show no traffic although in some cases, your ISP requires ping to be enabled or it will drop the connection. Check this setting to see if toggling it to the other option helps your situation.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Interruptions
by ninenot / December 29, 2009 6:22 AM PST

Thanks, all!!

First off, I called D-Link and they suggested a few changes in router-settings which we'll try.

If that fails, I'll take the router out of the middle and run just the modem--which should isolate to either 1) the modem; or 2) SBC/ATT.

D-Link has also offered to assist in more extensive re-setting of router internals if necessary--which goes above and beyond their 'warranty service' requirements, I think!

Collapse -
Router issue
by Phil Crase / December 29, 2009 11:15 PM PST

And you have done a manual reset of the router, little reset on the back of the router. There should be no reason to rebbot the computer, assuming it is a hook up issue. Do you have the software for the router? That is where I would begin, reloading and go from there.Since it is DSL, it could also be THEM, a phone link hook up may be bad. Also, are you using a DSL filter? If you are, try another one, it is rare but possible.

Collapse -
Interruptions--Cured!
by ninenot / December 30, 2009 12:26 AM PST

The D-Link suggestions have worked like a charm! There are reports of smurf-attacks targeting D-Link, but we've been up continuously for over 12 hours since my confab with the D-Link people.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
problems with firefox
by Melee Antoinette / January 1, 2010 3:19 PM PST

I seem to be having the same issue. FF freezes and have to shut everything down.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?