Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet Home Page

by Themisive / September 10, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

Hi all, here's another question. I've noticed that when I log onto the 'net, my ISP address in Internet options has been replaced with the default of http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome. As my ISP address is http://home.bt.yahoo.com, I need to get this problem fixed and quickly.

I have removed both MSN Explorer and MSN Messenger from my computer, as I use neither.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Home Page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Home Page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do you change your Home page back?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet Home Page

Do you use any counter measures to keep sites/malware from hijacking your home page, eg anti-spyware?

Mark

Collapse -
Solutions...
by John.Wilkinson / September 10, 2005 8:59 AM PDT

To change your homepage in IE, go tools->internet options and paste the website of your choice (in this case, http://home.bt.yahoo.com) into the address bar. Personally, I use Microsoft Antispyware to prevent my browser settings from being hijacked or changed without my permission, even though I don't use Internet Explorer. (Firefox is much more secure, powerful, and customizable than IE ever hopes to be.) Just click here to download it, and after it's installed go tools->advanced tools->browser hijack settings restore to modify the defaults. From then on, MSAS will prompt you prior to allowing the change to occur.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Solutions...
by Themisive / September 12, 2005 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Solutions...

The problem was that I DID reset the address in tools->internet options, however, it simply resets itself to the MSN explorer adrress and there lies the problem, I can't get the homepage to STAY set.

I use a Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard, In the Configuration for it, on the page marked Hot Keys, I altered the My Home name of my homepage to BT Yahoo, and the location to http://home.bt.yahoo.com.

On the Internet icon (the one that looks like the letter ?e?), right click on it and click on Properties, on the Shortcut page look in the target line; this will read "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", change it to read "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://home.bt.yahoo.com

These two alterations will ensure the homepage loads up properly though I keep wondering if there should be a change - perhaps in the registry settings, as when I click on the home icon in the browser taskbar, I still end up being sent to MSN Explorer.

I use Trend Micro Internet Security - it has it's own firewall, Spybot S & D, Spywareblaster, Ad-aware SE Plus, build 1.04 with Adwatch and BT Yahoo Antispy. All these programmes are up to date.

I can only hope that someone has some idea of what is going on, as I am just re-installing the final programmes after a system crash.

By the way John, thanks for the suggestions re: Firefox - at the moment, I don't want to start worrying about a new programme on the system, besides, this hiccup is the first I've had from 5 or 6 years of using the IE browser

Collapse -
hijackthis
by little eagle / September 10, 2005 1:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Just don't post the logs here...
by John.Wilkinson / September 10, 2005 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: hijackthis

All too frequently people download/run HiJackThis as recommended, then post the logs here. Unfortunately Cnet doesn't accept such logs, as they require more time than can be provided by most volunteers in these forums, and also take up a lot of space. For information on where to post your logs, click here. I'd also like to suggest using the automated log scanner, which will analyze your HiJackThis log based upon information provided from your fellow users. If you have doubts, you can always get a second opinion from a human. Happy

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
never try to use it
by little eagle / September 10, 2005 11:28 PM PDT

for anything other than letting you know you need help.

It tells you to fix entries but not how to a lot of infections require other tools not just hijack this.

We use three different tools to analyze your HiJackThis log all give false positives none refer to the other tools batch files and scanners necessary to fix the hijack. http://asap.maddoktor2.com/ << this link will give you a list of sites that you post a hijackthis log for help, all of which are free.

Collapse -
Spybot S&D allows you to set & lock both home &....
by tobeach / September 10, 2005 2:50 PM PDT

search pages as well as delete the 5 or 6 instances of it probably in you browser pages list. Mine is set to Google & blank for home.
AdwareSE does also. If you use both then be sure they both list the same sites. With Yahoo I would have & use both frequently.
Mozilla (& Firefox ?) automatically defaults to Google for search unless you change it. Note you need Sun Java installed before installing Moz/FF. Download from links in this post:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Should solve your problem and prevent re-ocurrence. Enjoy as they're all Freeware!! Happy

Collapse -
Computer type
by Themisive / September 12, 2005 6:13 AM PDT

Sorry, neglected this, it's a home build:

O/S Windows XP Home - fully updated inc SP2
CPU AMD Athlon XP2400+ 2GHz MMX 3DNow
RAM 1.5Gb DDR
Mobo Gigabyte GA-7VA rev 2
Sound Creative Labs PCI 128, 4.1 digital
Graphics ATI Radeon 9600XT 256Mb DDR
Direct X DX9.0c
CD/DVD Drives DVD+RW RW5240
LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163
HDD Maxtor 60Gb formatted NTFS
MAxtor 40Gb formatted NTFS
Floppy 1.44Mb
Monitor NOC LM720A
Keyboard Logitech Internet keyboard (wired)
Mouse Labtech (wired)
Other Nostromo N52 USB gaming pad
EasyDisk 512Mb Flash Drive (USB)

The whole system is configured for USB 2.01

Collapse -
IF you just want to fix a homepage its not that hard...
by kym7233 / September 13, 2005 2:11 PM PDT

Go to your browser and open it up, once its open, if your using Microsoft INternet explorer go to TOOL and click on that, select Internet Options, you should see ADDRESS and whatever's in box highlited, just delete whats there, and retype it, and hit ok or apply when your done, thats all... I hope this helps,

Collapse -
IF you just want to fix a homepage its not that hard...
by Themisive / September 13, 2005 11:01 PM PDT

That's the problem it DOESN'T stay changed. As soon as the browser is closed, it reverts to the MSN Explorer address I gave in my first post.

My system specs are all on my profile update.

Collapse -
Re: Homepage Problems
by Tufenuf / September 13, 2005 11:12 PM PDT

Themisive, Go to the link below and under the letter "H" scroll down to "Home Page Hijacking" where you'll find several possible fixes (e.g. Unlock Home Page: reg file). If you use this fix save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. There's also a fix to lock your homepage once you have it set to what you want which you may want to download also.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Themisive / September 14, 2005 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Homepage Problems

Thanks, I couldn't amend the key ''Start Page'', so I ended up deleting it (by the way BEFORE I ever try to alter the registry, I ALWAYS back it up) - the key I deleted was ''[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] ''Start Page'', the only trouble was that it just defaulted back to the MSN Explorer address once again. I also attemted to modify the binary data, without success.

I'll keep the link to that http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm who knows, it may well prove useful in the future.

See my profile for computer specs.

Collapse -
by Themisive / September 14, 2005 4:47 AM PDT

Well, I don't know what's happened, but all of a sudden, the Internet Options icon in Control Panel began accepting my homepage address - and it stays set to my homepage address even after restart!

Thanks to all who did their best to help me with this problem.

Collapse -
Now that's weird!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 14, 2005 6:31 PM PDT

But I'm glad you got it sorted Themisive. Even if you don't know how you did it, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Now that's weird!
by Themisive / September 15, 2005 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Now that's weird!

Yeah, it did work for a while, now it's up to it's old tricks again. If anyone needs my system specs, they're on my profile & up to date.

Collapse -
Both Msn & Yahoo are known to use messenger back
by tobeach / September 15, 2005 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Now that's weird!

channel to check & alter some things (and slip in pop ups). Msn re-direct is native to Windows and is auto defaulted. Yahoo is trying to overide this and MS is fighting back?? Yahoo may be checking and resetting when you launch or reach their page. I used Spybot and found the start and search page redirects by MS had about 6 copies listed there which I had Spybot delete. Happy

Collapse -
Re: Both Msn & Yahoo are known to use messenger back
by Themisive / September 16, 2005 8:55 AM PDT

I've only one problem here, I have NEVER had this before, the trouble is that I DO use Spybot - and others - and all my systems are up-to-date (not much use telling someone else to do that if you don't do it yourself is it?).

The only trouble is that I told spybot to ignore a lot of Backweb pages (that's because they seemed to be related to another programme I have on the machine). What do you suggest, delete Spybot temporarily, and when it's re-installed do a full scan again, and I wonder, is there any way to delete any of the following:

1 MSN.
2 MSN Explorer.
3 IE 6.

I don't want to start with a new browser, as I've never had trouble with this one before. From what I've read, both on these forums and elsewhere, both Mozilla and Firefox leave a lot to be desired; and since I've got so many layers of protection, don't you think that it would be a good idea to re-install IE 6?

Collapse -
I Suspect you've hit the nail on the head with.....
by tobeach / September 16, 2005 5:32 PM PDT

the comment/mention of Backweb. Is your machine by any chance from HP/Compaq?? Backweb (57 folders of it!) is ostensibly for getting up dates from HP or Logitech or ...but it amounts to virtually wide open access to your machine when you're on web. Perhaps a 2 way firewall may tame it. One of its functions could be to compare factory default settings to current and to reset back to same on an every connection basis & re-install itself while delivering accumulated spy data not to mention if you want remote help from HP service. I decided too dangerous for my taste and I can update manually so I had Spybot fix it. Noted only 4 files of backweb found using "search Files & Folders"....Hmmmmm. Good thing Spybot! Only I fear B-web may be using a Netbios port and bypassing most or all controls. No expert but smells about right! Sad

Collapse -
I Suspect you've hit the nail on the head with.....
by Themisive / September 17, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

Hi Tobeach, no My computer is a hombuild unit - I decided I wanted my specs and not what was being offered. If you look on my profile, you'll see the specs there, by the way the 2 hard disks are both Maxtor and the Mobo has a VIA chipset.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for Reply! Back to stirring Brain Salad Soup! :
by tobeach / September 17, 2005 4:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Homepage
by foxyboy / September 18, 2005 1:28 AM PDT

This is simple to fix.
1. Go to tools at the top of internet expoler.
2. Click Internet Options.
The internet options box will open and at there should
be the link for your home page at the top
3. Change the address to what you would like your homepage to be.

Collapse -
Homepage....
by Themisive / September 19, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Homepage

Hi foxyboy, yes I have tried that until I'm blue in the face, see message 3. The big problem here is that as soon as I go out of Internet Options the homepage reverts to the MSN Explorer address. The partial fixes I referred to in message 4 allow me to open my home page, but if for instance I have gone to a different site, I cannot switch back to my home page using the home icon on the toolbar.

Collapse -
Re: Homepage....
by Tufenuf / September 19, 2005 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Homepage....

Themisive, What happens if you go into Internet Options>General tab and under Homepage type in what you want for your Honepage then click the "Use Current" button, click Apply/OK?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Themisive / September 20, 2005 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Homepage....

In this case, type in my home page, provided I am already logged onto my ISP, the address stays the same, however, if for any reason I go out of the homepage, it reverts to the MSN Explorer page again.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / September 20, 2005 2:12 AM PDT

Themisive, What I'd try was to go to the link below and under the letter "H" scroll down to "Home Page Hijacking" then download the "Lock Home Page: reg file". Save it somewhere on your hard drive that you can easily find it. Now disconnect from the Internet and go into your Control Panel/Internet options/General tab and change your Homepage to exactly what you want. Next find that Lock Homepage .reg file that you downloaded and double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. After that's completed restart your computer.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Themisive / September 20, 2005 6:31 AM PDT

Thanks for the idea, I tried it and all it did was grey out the homepage address box, so I downloaded the registry unlock and ran that, now I'm back to square 1 again.

I did enter my homepage address but even though I kept the Internet Options page open whilst I ran the lock tool, it STILL defaulted back to the MSN Explorer address.

Collapse -
Re: Homepage....More possiblities
by Tufenuf / September 20, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

Themisive, Your Ad-aware 1.04 is out of date as the newest version is 1.06r1. Did tou check your options in Spybot S&D which you may have set to Lock your Homepage? That may be the reason you can't get it to stick. Open Spybot S&D, click Tools, click IE Tweaks, then uncheck "Lock IE Start Page settings etc."

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Themisive / September 20, 2005 6:35 AM PDT

That Ad-Aware was an old version I had still got, and shortly afterwards I managed to get the update to the 1.06r1 version.

I'll certainly have a look at the Spybot settings and come back to let you know the result.

Collapse -
by Themisive / September 20, 2005 6:59 AM PDT

Hi tufenuf, I've checked the Spybot settings, they're NOT locked and it's still playing up.

Collapse -
Internet Home Page
by billzhills / September 20, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

From M/S

How to configure your Internet Explorer

Home page setting changes unexpectedly

may or may not apply

BIll

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.