General discussion

Internet HELP

Internet Explorer works but no other programs work (like AIM, Limewire, Not even norton to download virus things). What is doing this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Internet HELP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What happens...

When you try to open the other programs? Do you get an error message? Have you tried doing a system restore?

- Collapse -
First things first...

Reboot in Safe Mode (press F8 during boot) and run a full system scan with your security software, removing any/all infections it finds. Using open P2P networks, such as Limewire, regularly often leads to such issues due to the high percentage of malicious content distributed, particularly with pirated (illegal) content.

Secondly, you'll need to work on repairing your internet connection. Repairing Winsock is often required in such cases, but the exact error messages from the various programs, as well as a list of any other programs that may be functional, would be helpful.

John

- Collapse -
well..

I have norton on that laptop. And if i uninstall a Vista Security Update, it works fine. But i don't know the update anymore and I want to have it work With the update so i don't have to uninstall it.

The error message that comes up is just like "No internet Connection" basically. It's nothing different than, lets say, unplugging the wireless router so it make's a connection but without internet.

CNET Forums