Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet explorer very vey slow

by george1200 / February 2, 2006 3:38 PM PST

Since nearly 1 Month the IE 6.0 SP1 on my computer is very slow. The program itself is opening after more than 30 seconds after I launch the program.

After that the home page takes more than 2 minutes to load. Also every page is loading very very slow sometimes more than 3 minutes.

When I try with my Firefox 1.5 I am getting lightening speed. So the connection speed is not the cause. My connection is 512/256 K DSL.

I ahve checked all malwares and spy programs with Adware, Microft malaware and many others, but the problem remains

I am running Windows XP with IE 6.0 SP1.

Any advice is appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet explorer very vey slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet explorer very vey slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE
by phantazy / February 2, 2006 4:05 PM PST
Collapse -
IE slow.
by Cursorcowboy / February 2, 2006 10:19 PM PST
If you're positive the system has not been infected (link here), then step through the following to hopefully help resolve any existing problems. Be advised however, the following does not take into account many of the possible causes when Service Packs for IE or Windows have been installed with default settings that have not been changed to concide with you're usual way of doing business.

1. When visiting Web sites, add-ons (software components) may be downloaded automatically, you may be prompted to download add-ons, or you may be directed to visit a Web site to obtain the latest add-on. These components may be third-party ActiveX controls that extend browser functionality or that provide special user interface elements in IE. The article [Q883256] describes how to control add-ons by using the Manage Add-ons feature of SP2, describes how to use and how to troubleshoot its features.

2. The article [Q885355] explains that when the by default Use smooth scrolling option is enabled, the following anomalous behavior can occur:

? When you scroll through a Web pages, the CPU Usage meter in Task Manager may indicate 100 percent CPU use.

? Other programs may slow down or become unresponsive. For example, if you play a video DVD, an audio DVD, or an audio CD while you scroll through a Web page, you may experience video or audio distortion.

3. Three links for your reading pleasure:

a. ''Browser Helper Objects: The Browser the Way You Want It?

b. ''What is a Browser Helper Object?.''

c. ''BHODemon'' that can be downloaded may assist with your situation perhaps.

4. ''Itty Bitty Process Manager (IBProcMan)'' - a ZIP file download and requires no installation:

I've been seeing more and more cases of infections by trojans that kill any antivirus or antispyware programs you try to use and remove them. For such cases, I created a standalone version of the 'Itty Bitty Process Manager' inside HijackThis. It should be a bit harder for trojans to detect, since it has no window caption. If they do start targeting it by filename, rename the executable before running it and you should be good to go.

A standalone version of the little process manager included in HijackThis (Misc Tools section). Shows full paths to processes, optionally shows DLLs loaded by processes. Can save the process list (and dll list) to file, as well as copy it to the clipboard. Compatible with at least Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and newer.

Very useful for cleaning up systems infected with trojans or viruses that kill antivirus and antispyware programs.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.