General discussion

Internet Explorer v6

Why does Microsoft think their way is always the best?
With Windows, Word, Internet Explorer; all have "features" that make me question if the programmers actually use the program they're writing.

The suggestions I have made to MS are quite numerous and will not be included here, but I have included my most recent suggestion and will keep everyone updated as to its progress.

"I am using Windows Internet Explorer v6 and I'm surprised that the following suggestion has never been incorporated into this or any previous version.

When I click onto a link and open a new window in IE6, the new window is about one forth of the screen. Exactly when is that a good thing? If I am clicking onto a link to access another web page, why would I want a much smaller window to appear? Wouldn't I logically want a window the SAME SIZE as the one I'm working with?

I suggest that an option be included in future versions to allow a maximized screen when opening a new window. Simple.

Through 3rd party web sites, I have found a work-around for this defect in IE6 (included below) but would hope that this suggestion be considered for future versions.

Thank you.

Work-around:
Start IE, right click any link on a web page, and select Open in a New Window.
Go back to the first IE window you opened and close it.
Return to the second window and manually drag it to fill the screen.
(Do not use the maximize button, for that's a temporary setting that will
not be retained.)

Now press the Ctrl button, and close this second window, holding the Ctrl button
depressed, using 'close' in the File menu (important!). All windows should now
open maximized.

cc: CNet Forums"

Let me know if anyone have other suggestions for MS to be forwarded or let them know yourself at MS Product Feedback.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Internet Explorer v6
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet Explorer v6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You haven't seen nothing yet. IE 7 is almost here.

Stay tuned for more fun.

Bob

- Collapse -
Last time I opened my Internet Explorer about a year ago ...

... thus, have nothing to add. But thanks for the invitation. Happy

- Collapse -
Office 2004's pretty good

Ironically, it's a Mac only product. A lot of the programs MS makes for the Mac just put the Windows versions to shame, IE and WMP being the major exceptions. Still, the Note view in Word 2004 is so incredibly useful... It's got to be one of the few useful features added to Word in the last decade or so. Not to mention Word 2004 has an honest to god thesaurus in it. Something I have yet to locate in Word XP/2003. Comes in oh so handy when you're trying to come up with a word, and can't think of it.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that most of the Mac products from MS are developed in relative isolation from the Windows products. I think it's high time the Mac developers at MS teach a course on interface design for everyone else. Seriously, if Windows users had any idea just how useful the formatting pallet on the Mac versions of Office programs was, they'd settle for nothing less. You can get a watered down idea of what the formatting pallet is like if you install OpenOffice. The little floating box off to the side is like a poor man's version of the formatting pallet.

CNET Forums

Forum Info