Computer Help forum

Question

Internet Explorer uses 231 MB disk soace

by hsonder / January 30, 2012 8:31 PM PST

Hi I do not understand this. This notification apperas after only a few minutes of connection to the Internet and advices that IE is shut down and reopened. I have checked my Internet settings but I cannot figure it out. Does anyone have a solution or advice? HS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer uses 231 MB disk soace
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer uses 231 MB disk soace
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
WHAT is reporting this? Norton?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 2:06 AM PST

Disk space is cheap so it gets used for caching and more. Is the question about the app using disk space or why you are getting the pop up?
Bob

Collapse -
excessive memory use
by william rice / January 31, 2012 2:25 AM PST

i am having a similar problem with my PC. when i get on IE am getting a message that my PC is using an excessive amount of memory. it ranges from 240mb to 1000 mb's. i know there are things running in the back ground but do not know what is essential that needs to run and what i can remove from start up safely with out operation screwing up my PC's operation altogether. its crazy, i have the knowledge to get the parts and build a new PC but when something in the systems goes crazy i have to have a tech fix it. if anyone has any ideas for this i am open to suggestion. thanks all. i just put this system together, i used an asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB extreme design motherboard, amd quad four cpu, 2 gigabit memory sticks windows xp pro SP3- 32bitps.

Collapse -
I'd pose the same question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: excessive memory use

It is now PROPER for browsers to use a lot of RAM. Why? For speed. The populace has chanted "More Speed" so that's going to be done by caching in RAM rather than disk space. Actually they use both.

If you are using some Norton "protection" I have seen it in recent versions add such and frankly I think it's another sham. That is, since it's going off when things are working properly then what good is it? Also, why isn't Symantec answering these questions?
Bob

Collapse -
So I shouldn't care?
by hsonder / January 31, 2012 5:14 AM PST

If you are right then it is not a problem - and I have plenty of memory - so maybe I'll just leave it next time

Collapse -
Tell us about that message ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 31, 2012 5:30 AM PST

because while caching is used for increasing "speed" it would be helpful to know where that message originated because even though paraphrased I do not recognize it as a Microsoft originated message.

Since various malware will pop such messages up in order to get you to click a button or to download and install a "utility" your telling us everything you can about such messaged (including description of any message box) might well stave off some serious problems.

Collapse -
extreme memory usage
by william rice / February 4, 2012 6:37 AM PST

it is coming from my AVG software. i have the avg internet security suite 3012. it will tell me that an unusually large amount of memory is being used and suggests that i shut down and reboot to slove the problem.

Collapse -
(NT) It is AVG
by hsonder / January 31, 2012 5:12 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
The question is
by hsonder / January 31, 2012 5:18 AM PST

whether I can do something to prevent the excessive use - or if it doesn't matter....

Collapse -
The answer to the question is ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 31, 2012 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: The question is

for you to tell us IN DETAIL everything you can about the message including EXACTLY what it says.

RAM is of no use unless it is being used (like a steak doesn't do a body much good until you start cutting and eating it).

Collapse -
It is AVG
by hsonder / January 31, 2012 5:47 AM PST

It says something like: "AVG has detected that Internet Explorer is using an excessive amount of RAM 255 MB ...

It is recommended that you close it down and re open it ....." U(the pop-up window is there only shortly, so I can't get it 100% correct)

Collapse -
Thanks. Here's what AVG is telling folk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: It is AVG
Collapse -
So if it correct to use RAM
by hsonder / February 1, 2012 2:05 AM PST

what you are saying is that I shall just ignore the message?
Hs

Collapse -
I wouldn't say that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 2:13 AM PST

That would be your choice. My choice was to find what was reporting it and then ask the source about it.

Their answer was to turn off the feature.

My choice would be to turn it off since we know it's a red herring.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you Bob
by hsonder / February 3, 2012 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: I wouldn't say that.

I'll do that Happy

You have been very helpful Blush

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?