Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Internet Explorer Upgrade / Repair

Hi guys, I am running XP SP3, and Internet Explorer ver 8.0.6.

It takes ages to access some web sites on my desktop, laptop is fine.

So I thought maybe I could do an upgrade, repair or reload.

How would I do that?

Thanks

Colin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Upgrade / Repair
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Upgrade / Repair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
IE upgrade or repair

In reply to: Internet Explorer Upgrade / Repair

With XP IE8 is the highest version available, so an upgrade is not an option sadly.

There is no repair option either in IE. I assume that is what you mean, and not a repair or ugrade of the XP OS itself.

However all is not lost and with IE in particular many of the problems like slow loading web pages can be traced back to bad or corrupted IE Add-ons.

There is a good test for this. IE has it's own 'safe mode' where you can open it with Add-ons disabled. Go to Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools then find and click the "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" shortcut.

This will open IE with all add-ons and 3rd party toolbars disabled.

Try that and try loading your normal web pages and others. The web sites may not render or display properly because this is IE's safe mode, but as a test for speed of loading it is a good test.

If that works then you know it is an add-on or a toolbar that is slowing things down and your next step is to eliminate which one(s) is/are causing the problem.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Hello Mark

In reply to: IE upgrade or repair

Thanks for that information. There are quite a few add ons in various sub sections. Can I list the sub sections for your comments? By disabling the add ons, the sites I was having problems with are now OK.

Logitech (cordless mouse?)

CDVROCX

Trend Micro Active X Agent 6.6

Hewlett Packard (Printers)

Microsoft ( all sorts of things!)

Sun (Java)

Adobe (Shockwave)

Apple (Quicktime)

DivX, LLC

Adobe (PDF reader)

Realnetworks (Realplayer)

Do I need all this stuff Mark, and are any of the above known for causing a problem.

Regards

Colin

Collapse -
Can I just confirm?

In reply to: Hello Mark

Can I just confirm that the list you provided are Internet Explorer Add-ons from IE > Tools > Manage Add-ons?

It's just that a couple seen a bit strange in particular "Logitech (cordless mouse)".

If so, let's go through them;

Logitech (cordless mouse?)

What does this do? A browser is just a browser and any mouse will just work like it works for any other application. If you disable this, what will happen?

CDVROCX

What is this and what does it do? I searched Google for CDVROCX and didn't see much, but Google asked me if I meant DVROCX. Is that a typo?

Are you having problems watching videos online?

Trend Micro Active X Agent 6.6

Another strange one. A Google search for Trend Micro Active X Agent 6.6 only seems to bring up Trend Micro's HJT, or HiJackThis which is a utility for scanning a system when searching for malware. Have you used HJT recently or at all?

Disable that.

Hewlett Packard (Printers)

What is this and why is it an add-on in your browser? Do you do a lot of web page printing?

Microsoft ( all sorts of things!)

Difficult to diagnose "all sorts of things" Happy

Sun (Java)

Java is required on some web sites to play some games or for other small, 'applets', but it can safely be disabled and if needed the web site will tell you.

Adobe (Shockwave)

Needed, especially if you watch online videos, (like YouTube etc), and play Flash games.

Apple (Quicktime)

Not needed.

DivX, LLC

Not needed, but you may need media player plugins to watch videos other than Flash, or to listen to music, so Apple Quicktime and DivX may be need at some time or other.

Adobe (PDF reader).

Do you read PDF files online? If not, then not required.

Realnetworks (Realplayer)

I have to be cautious of my response here. Well, perhaps not! Devil I absolutely recommend you remove all traces of RealPlayer from your computer. It will be difficult as it is an insidious piece of software and plants itself all over the system. But that is why, it tries to take over everything and every component has updates and downloads and other things that means it is always on the go and sucking up resources.

Disable this plugin.

You didn't say if that test, the IE in Safe Mode made things any better. Did it?

Mark

Collapse -
Hi Mark

In reply to: Can I just confirm?

Thanks for your detailed response.
Yes they are from the 'Manage addons'

Logitech I have disabled.

CDVROCX I have disabled

Trend Micro all disabled

HP no I do not do any web page printing!

Sun I dont do games!

DivX disabled

Adobe no I dont read PDF online, I download

Realnetworks disabled

When I do the first disabling, 1 particular site I had a problem with, was then OK. I am now about to do some more disabling.

I will put up a seperate list of the add ons in Microsoft.

Thanks again

Colin

Collapse -
Microsoft Add Ons

In reply to: Can I just confirm?

Mark these are the Microsoft add ons

XSL Template 3.0
XML HTTP 3.0
Free Threaded XML DOM Document 3.0
XML DOM Document 3.0
Microsoft Silverlight
RDS Dataspace
XML HTTP 6.0
XSL Template 6.0
Free threaded XML DOM Document 6.0
XML DOM document 6.0
XML HTTP 4.0
Free threaded XML DOM Document 4.0
XML DOM Document 4.0
Windows Media PLayer
XML DOM Document
Windows Media Player (Again!)
Information CARDSIGNINHELPER Class
MUWebControl Class
Windows Live Safety Centre Base Module

So there we go............

Colin

Collapse -
Generally

In reply to: Microsoft Add Ons

Generally I would leave Microsoft add-ons. They are trusted any way, but trying to work out what they do is difficult sometimes.

So, any better performance so far?

Mark

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Generally

thanks Mark, the pages seem to be loading up much quicker, and at this time I have not found a problem with things not working!!

Colin

Collapse -
That's good

In reply to: Yes

and I hope performance remains better.

Mark

Collapse -
xp vs windows-7

In reply to: IE upgrade or repair

In windows-7 IE 8 in build all ready so there is no requirement to install additionally IE but in Windows XP it is to be
needed . The newer version of IE add extra tool and more facilities.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!