Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer Script Error

by Susan B. / February 4, 2004 3:10 AM PST

I am running Windows ME with Internet Explorer 5.5 all patches and fixes applied.
I went to My Documents/My Pictures to look and I get the following error message:

An error has occured in the script on this page

Line: 103
Char: 13
Error: WiaMgr.Devices.Length' is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: file://C.\Windows\Web\imgview.htt

Do you want to continue running script on this page

Yes/No

I don't know if I want to continue running script or not, but I can't open any folders or view pictures in "My Pictures" because of this error message.
Any ideas or solutions? Thanks in advance.
The only new thing that I did this morning is update the CWShredder and run. I hope I didn't clean something that I shouldn't have.
Susan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Script Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Script Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Internet Explorer Script Error for Web Developers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 3:27 AM PST
Collapse -
The other causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 3:34 AM PST

New malware is changing registry entries. If your pass of Adware, Spybot or such has removed such, the following might help.

1. Do you have TweakUI?
If so, go to the "Desktop" tab
"First icon on desktop" should be "My Documents"

1A. Get Tweakui, change first to other than "My Documents", then change it back (ok out each time!)

2. This error is not always caused by changing "My Documents" Tweak UI
If that's the case,
Then you need to START/Run

regsvr32 webvw

This rebuilds the "ImgView.htt" file, which caused the script error.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Internet Explorer Script Error
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 3:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Not using Tweak UI
by Susan B. / February 4, 2004 4:42 AM PST

Bob and Grif,
Tried posting back to say that I am not using Tweak UI.
I checked the settings as per Bob's instructions and were turned off as indicated.
Ran Adaware 6 and removed 7 tracking cookies. I did download the latest file update yesterday.
As for CWShredder, I updated their new files today and ran. According to them, I have a squeaky clean computer.
I ran PC-cillin 2000 this morning and no viruses were detected.
I went through my emails and all were from a site that I subscribe to and have allowed email notifications on certain new discussions.
Checked out the weather, My God it's warming up!
Been hanging around Cnet most of the morning.
Do have Outlook Express 5.5 patches and fixes applied.
Checked out Microsoft Updates....none to apply.
I could try the Spybot next.
Any more ideas?
Thanks, you guys are great
Susan

Collapse -
"Not using Tweak UI" is what some will write.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Not using Tweak UI

But as I may have noted, it's well known that using Tweakui to change it and then put it back has cured it more than once.

Welcome to the new annoying MALWARES.

Bob

Collapse -
Never have used and now confused?
by Susan B. / February 4, 2004 6:16 AM PST

Bob,
Are you saying that I should download and install Tweak UI to change the "My Documents" folder to something else and change back again.
Incidentally, the "My Documents" folder was named something else years ago.
Susan

Collapse -
Re:Never have used and now confused?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 11:09 AM PST

"Are you saying that I should download and install Tweak UI to change the "My Documents" folder to something else and change back again.
Incidentally, the "My Documents" folder was named something else years"

Yes, I wrote that and another command. But there is no need if the problem just "vanished."

The ongoing PEST and PARASITE issues are causing such problems and while people like me will simply install TWEAKUI and flip it back and forth and optionally remove TWEAKUI, others will want long explanations why we would do that.

The short answer is that we found it to cure the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Internet Explorer Script Error
by Susan B. / February 4, 2004 5:15 AM PST

A new development!
Rebooted computer and I am not getting error message anymore. I can open "My Pictures" without the annoying error message.
Was this a "Duh" moment or I missed somewhere in directions for running these cleaning programs.
Firewall and AV gets turned off before downloading such programs.
Don't know if this has helped.
Susan

Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer Script Error
by Bob Rogers / December 11, 2004 3:23 AM PST

When trying to use My Documents I always get the following error message. WEAMGR.Devices.Length' is null or not an object.
Code 0
URL file//C:\WINDOWS\Web\ImgView.htt
How do I fix this problem?

Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer Script Error
by roddy32 / December 11, 2004 4:20 AM PST
Collapse -
internet explorer errors
by bigal8578 / January 13, 2005 7:41 AM PST

You can try going to start/accessories/system tools/internet explorer repair tool. It is in the tools section on the system information screen. Run the tool and reboot your PC and hopefully bingo, bango, no more problems. Good Luck Al

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.