Question

Internet explorer screen picks up ad or video when scrolling

I am running window 7 which came preinstalled on this acer laptop. 3 days ago this started, my home page is interenet explorer with nytimes as my home page, My mouse is a logitech that I use to navigate and scroll with.as soon as the screen appears and I start to scroll down on the right hand margin something picks up a header or an ad or a video off of the page and starts it flickering very rapidly in the upper left corner of the page, it also happened when I just navigated to you cnet.com and it picked up your header and started it flickering and actually made it difficult to log on as your login is up in that area.I took a video of this dilema but I am not sure I can attach it to this for you to see. Thanks for any help , ideas or support as ever,

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Internet explorer screen picks up ad or video when scrolling
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Internet explorer screen picks up ad or video when scrolling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just suggestions

I went to NYTimes.com and didn't see any problems myself, so just suggestions from me.

1] Do other browsers show the same symptoms?

2] Scan your system with your (updated) anti-virus, and also with a couple of anti-malware scanners like the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

3] Often problems with IE can be traced back to bad Add-ons. Try your IE with all add-ons disabled. IE has a version of that in your Start menu > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > "Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)".

If IE works better there, then close down that IE, open your normal one and start an elimination test in Tools > Manage Add-ons.

Hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Did both of your ideas and...........

Hi Mark, thanks I ran the spyware suggested but it did not change the problem, also checked the no add-ons but that was in the off position. Thanks for your ideas and time, also not sure if you noticed in my origional message but this happens on any web page, including cnet.
Janie

- Collapse -
Any chance of a screen print?

Just take a screen print, save it as a .jpg file, then upload it to your favored image hosting site like ImageShack, Photobucket, Flickr, etc, and finally let us have the url link to that 'full sized' image.

What about the other browsers?

You mentioned only one add-on, in the off position, but that's not normal. IE normally has many add-ons and plugins. Did you try all the "Add-on types", and did you "Show all add-ons"?

Have you set IE's Pop-up blocker to on?

Mark

- Collapse -
Hey Mark

My pop up blocker is always on and I went into tools and disabled all of the things listed, I have a tiny video I took with my ipod touch and can mail it to you if you have some email for me, I tried dragging it to here but it will not accept it. I is about 2 seconds long but gives you a good Idea of the problem

- Collapse -
You fixed it

I went back in and shut down the machine after disabling all the add ons and now it is fixed, thanks so much, maybe it was one of the 2 adobe downloads that came in about the day it started acting up, can't tell for sure as they just pop up when I start my machine in the morning, thanks Mark for your time and patience Janie

- Collapse -
(NT) That's great news, and thanks for reporting back.
- Collapse -
the jpg.file

I am 65 yrs and do not know enough to be able to do the screen print thing I am a bit technically challanged as the kids say now a day

CNET Forums