1. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

2. When i click on a link a new window appears with file downlad on it.

A window or a context menu? Can I assume this link is something on a WEB page specifically for download or only to open -- you need to give us a map (URL) and identification of this item (name) so we can check whether we think it's might be your computer or a problem with the site or item?

3. I click on open and it says to open this file windows needs to know what program created it. I click on use the webservice to find the appropriate program. I say ok and get a websit.

The few times I do a download, the scenario explained has not been experienced, besides I download - never open. Without full details of where, what, how, and with what, I have no simple answer.