Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer Problem (IE Beta 2) Help Appreciated

by ShawnRocks / August 30, 2008 2:44 PM PDT

I heard that Microsoft just updated Internet Explorer and that it was really good. Unfortunetly, I am unable to use it. Here's the story: I got my computer a few years ago and it had IE already on it. I heard about Mozilla Firefox and that it was better, so I deleted it. Here I am, 2 years later, finally wanting to download it again, and I have a problem. When I try and do the setup, it gives me an error that says "Internet Explorer is not supported on this operating system." I have Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 1, which should work fine. Is there any way to fix this?

Sorry for the wall of text Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Problem (IE Beta 2) Help Appreciated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Problem (IE Beta 2) Help Appreciated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of issues here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 7:44 PM PDT

How did you delete IE?

If you started deleting files and folders then you may have continuing problems because IE is integrated into Windows very closely.

However, if you used Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows components, you can always revisit that and re-install IE.

Next, Windows Vista. It wasn't available 'a few years ago', so tell us about this Vista install. Was it an upgrade from XP? If so, I am not sure that Vista's Add/Remove components will work now, or even if it still exists in the same form as XP's Add/Remove components, (I am still an XP user so I know very little about Vista).

You are aware that as IE8 is a Beta that there will be issues with it, and it is only really recommended for testing purposes for people who are prepared to see their OS fail and then troubleshoot that with, perhaps, reinstalling the OS.

It may be best to leave this beta alone.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: A couple of issues here.
by ShawnRocks / August 31, 2008 7:08 AM PDT

I searched for everything having to do with it and deleted it. It probably won't install because I deleted the preconfigured folders. I have gotten past the problem, but when I do the setup, it fails to install. I have Control Panel, but I do not see "Add/Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows components" anywhere. Oh, and it wasn't an upgrade, I bought a brand new computer with Windows Vista on it. I just wanted to see what this new version had, but yes, I understand. It's a beta, it may have bugs. Too bad though, was looking forward to downloading the new version (haven't been able to download any IE versions anyway).

Collapse -
reinstall ie7
by ziplock122949 / August 31, 2008 1:37 PM PDT

try to reinstall ie7. And for future reference, do not try to rip anything out without removing it from the add/remove programs (programs and features in vista). With firefox, you need ie also installed. Sometimes FF has problem and sometimes ie has problems with certain websites.

Collapse -
Tried
by ShawnRocks / August 31, 2008 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: reinstall ie7

I've tried that, but it gives me my previous error (not supported).

Collapse -
I suspect then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 7:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried

that you will need to either reinstall Vista, or see if you can perform a "Repair install" from the Vista CD, and hope that reintroduces the correct IE files. Whether that will work or not is beyond my knowledge, but perhaps the Vista experts here in our Windows Vista forum will be able to help.

I am surprised your Vista install is working properly. As I said, Internet Explorer is deeply embedded into the OS and breaking IE often causes other damage to the OS as well.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?