Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer no longer functional

My internet explorer has stopped working. I am connected online through DSL, and I kno that it is working, as I can reach AIM, Win MX, etc. ALSO, I can get to internet sites, however, I have to type the address in My Computer, which them turns into internet explorer. But, If i try to open Internet explorer directly or click on a link that brings up a new window, it just appears as if I'm not even connected ("this page cannot be displayed blah blah blah".) One thing that may have caused the problem was I just recently downloaded Ad-Aware because I had all kinds of junk on my computer. However, once I began having this problem I went in to Ad-Aware and put all the files back that I quarantined. I have also tried the Internet explorer repair tool, but that did nothing. PLEASE HELP!?!?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer no longer functional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer no longer functional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer

In reply to: Internet Explorer no longer functional

Basically you're still connected to the internet but there maybe some kind of spyware controlling your IE do a scan for ad-aware and remove all items ad-aware catches if it still prevents you from using ie you may have to download additional spyware removal software like spyware doctor spybot and of course the one you already have if not try another browser like firefox or netscape

Collapse -
Your're not the only one!!

I did what you did. When to Go-Back a week and re-booted
nothing. It neglected me from entering the Internet or
entering my EMAIL..I hope there is somebody that will help us. Dave.

Collapse -
Repair IE. . .

1.) Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information. Click Tools, then Internet Explorer Repair tool.

2.) Click Start, Run, type sfc and click Run. This will look for altered/corrupt files on the Hard Drive. Have your W98CD handy.

Good luck,

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
Fix problems

In reply to: Repair IE. . .

try running this
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
Will fix sockets damaged by spyware.

To remove IE completely to re-install
http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html
(Only use on Win98 not XP - Download Firefox first and install so you have a browser)
http://www.mozilla.org

Download the IE6 in full, follow this
http://www.liewcf.com/blog/archives/2005/04/download-full-internet-explorer-6-sp1-standalone-installer/

You can re-install or update over and over without downloading again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.