Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer has quit working

by Sue Ryckman / April 13, 2009 10:45 PM PDT

Have just purchased new computer - Acer AX 1700-E3751A with Windows Vista Home Edition 64-bit. Installing programs, including printer drivers etc. but ...

IE no longer works from the desktop shortcut - message: "Internet Explorer has stopped working; A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close .. and notify if solution available".

So from my start menu, I created a new shortcut for IE, which gives me the same message! I can only load IE from the startup menu.

The only deletion I have tried to do on this new computer is McAfee, which I could not delete in the control panel. So in addition to IE, when I click on the support option in McAfee it also cannot access IE.

In my attempt to get rid of a program I don't use, have I somehow messed up IE? Anyone's help and guidance would be much appreciated!

Northern Sue

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer has quit working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer has quit working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Internet explorer has closed..yada yada
by jancawa55 / April 14, 2009 5:32 AM PDT

I got this so many times it made me puke. This is not a new computer but this is how I have fixed it. Go to windows update on your pc look at installed updates. There is a message on the top about uninstalling updates, click on it. Then find IE8 in the list and uninstall it. When you reboot you will probably be in IE7, which for me works just fine. If none of the above are working try Google Chrome.

Collapse -
IE doesn't access . . . (Does this fit Vesta?)
by Cursorcowboy / April 14, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

We have no way of knowing how a user's box is connected to the WWW unless the question contains such information. We have no way of knowing what a user has checked and the result of any repair unless the question contains that information. Just because IE isn't connected to the WWW, it may or it may not be a problem with a program or a system infection. We must take tiny steps and start at the very beginning. Don't forget about the <b style="font-weight:normal; color:red">RED text above the box where you start asking a question:

<b style="font-weight:normal; color:red">NOTE: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Please remember to include operating system service pack update information. When asking a question concerning a specific program or peripheral used on your system tell us its name and version, manufacturer and model number.

1. The article [Q870700] explains how to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet Explorer 6 and Service Pack 2:

? Network connectivity issues
? Look for third-party firewall or antivirus programs
? Turn off the pop-up blocker
? Delete the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder
? Configure security, content, and advanced settings in Internet Explorer
? Use the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool to scan all files that are protected by Windows File Protection (WFP)
? Third-party browser extensions
? Create a new user profile

2. Click Start, Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then press ENTER. Click the Local Area Connection in the right window pane and look to see what is displayed at the bottom Details of the first column of the Network Connections context window. You should see a connection, whether connected and firewalled protected, including the network controller and IP Address.

3. It the Details does not show a proper connection, what happens if you repair it? Right-click the Local Area Connection and select Repair which may or may not restores the connectivity of your network connection. Repair operations attempt to refresh the stored data related to the connection and renew registration with networking services. Repair is used to issue broadcast renew of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) address, flush the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), NetBIOS and domain name service (DNS) local caches, and reregister with Windows Internet Name Service (WINS_ and DNS.)

Collapse -
Further, if you use diagnostics, what are the results?
by Cursorcowboy / April 14, 2009 8:41 AM PDT

1. Please read the Microsoft TechNet article, "Set up network components", the articles "How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition" that discuss the following topics, and the other provided links as applicable:

? Configure TCP/IP settings
? Add a network component
? Remove a network component
? Enable a network component
? Disable a network component
? Modify the protocol bindings order
? Modify the network provider order
? Configure Client for Microsoft Networks
? Configure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
? PPP settings
? QoS Packet Scheduler, [Q316666].

2. "Duplicate Name Exists" Error Message When You Start a Windows XP Workstation (Q822659)."

3. "How to Change a Computer Name or Join a Domain in Windows XP (Q295017)."

4. "Wireless Networking May Not Function When You Use the "Safe Mode with Networking" Option (Q305616)."

5. "Release Notes for Windows XP Contained in the Relnotes.htm File (Q306819)."

6. The "Network Diagnostics tools" offers four mechanisms for helping diagnose and fix network related problems or perhaps "How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer"

a. Network Diagnostics Web Page and Netsh Helper - designed to make it easy for both the consumer and the support professional to quickly gain usable information about the computer and operating system information, adapter information, ping and connect tests, and many other features for diagnosing network problems.

b. Network Connections Support Tab - provides all of the information and tasks that the Win9x support tool Winipcfg.exe used to provide while improving it in the process.

c. Network Connection Repair Link - the repair link performs a series of safe configuration repair steps into a single task within one click of a mouse.

Note: For instance, the actions occur in the order that they are listed. A corresponding command is listed next to each action, [Q289256]:

? Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) lease is renewed: ipconfig /renew

? Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) cache is flushed: arp -d *

? Reload of the NetBIOS name cache: nbtstat -R

? NetBIOS name update is sent: nbtstat -RR

? Domain Name System (DNS) cache is flushed: ipconfig /flushdns

? DNS name registration: ipconfig /registerdns

The following action has been added to Windows XP Service Pack 1:

? IEEE 802.1X Authentication Restart

d. Task Manager Network Tab - a tab within Task Manager that displays each network adapter on the machine, LAN or WAN, and displays the percentage network utilization and other metrics for the adapter and is a quick guide to how well their network is performing.

7. "How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP (Q314067)."

Please understand that troubleshooting a simple term such as "My IE want connect" is no fun and game -- there are umteen things which could cause such a seemingly minor problem but you have to find it, not us.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!