Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem" error

by sanfranman59 / July 9, 2004 3:50 PM PDT

I am totally frustrated. Over the past several days, I suddenly can't open any pages on my two favorite sports web and Whenever I attempt to navigate around these sites, I inevitably end up getting the message: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I've received this message very sporadically in the past and while it's an annoyance, it's never been much of a problem. Now it's suddenly over the past few days become epidemic. I've deleted temporary files and cleared cookies, I've run a full system virus scan and I've run both AdAware and SpyBot. None of this seems to keep my browser from crashing on these web sites. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

p.s. Is there really no way to search messages here??? I used to use ZDNet communities all the time but haven't been here much since the new interface was implemented.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem" error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem" error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem" error
by Cursorcowboy / July 9, 2004 9:15 PM PDT

A. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

B. Is there really no way to search messages here???

Sure. Box just above the forum page title. I suggest you right-click the words Advanced Search to get to a new window which doesn't require the page refresh or back to the forum.

C. "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

1. The article [Q276550] explains that the Internet Explorer Error Reporting (IERT) tool is included with all versions of Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and 6 and is available for download otherwise.

a. This tool can be used to report (click to see an example screenshot) unrecoverable errors (there are more user-mode faults, such as, general protection faults or invalid page faults) to Microsoft over the Internet for analysis and that the details can be viewed before deciding.

b. If a report is sent and a known cure exist, a link is provided to a service pack, hotfix, or to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

c. The article referenced above describes How to Disable Internet Explorer Error Reporting, which I suggest.

d. The dialog box contains the following information:

Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Restart Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Microsoft Internet Explorer. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.
To see the data this error report contains, click here.

2. Please. Always report the error information this report contains when wanting our analyses.

3. Check the MSKB otherwise for the listing of articles concerning ""Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."" errors.

Collapse -
by sanfranman59 / July 10, 2004 3:14 AM PDT

Thanks for the quick reply Cursor. I think I must have been half asleep when I posted my message last night. I don't know how I missed the Search & Advanced Search at the top of the screen. Sheesh! It's great to see that they've added the search function.

I also can't believe I didn't post the standard information about my system. I'm running Windows XP on an Athlon XP 1800 1.5 GHz machine with 256MB RAM and using IE V.6. I regularly check for updates and security packages for both XP and IE so I'm pretty sure I have all of the latest patches etc.

It's strange to me that I've just all of the sudden started having these problems over the last few days. It's like one day, everything was fine and I could click from page to page on and, then the next day I couldn't do anything on certain pages of these sites. Anyways, thanks again for all of the information in your post.

Collapse -
by alkie / November 8, 2004 8:11 PM PST

hi there .did you manage to get a resolution for this problem? i'm having the same problem and have tried to resolve by doing all th esame stuff as you. without success..

Collapse -
by JoshHendo / November 9, 2004 3:25 PM PST

you could try re installing IE. or you could switch to Firefox or another browser, IE has alot of security gaps.

Collapse -
Had similar problem
by specialed_414 / March 10, 2005 11:46 AM PST

I have a simlar problem and get the following error message: szAppName : wmplayer.exe szAppVer : szModName : hungapp
everything seemed to have run just fine until I went to PC I run a 2.4 ghz laptop with windows xp service pack 2. I have had similar problems with mozilla and internet explorer. My problem seems to occur when using windows media player 10. When I view a movie with the plugin, internet explorer locks up, and when I use windows movie player 10 by itself, That locks up. Any Ideas?

Collapse -
WMP is bad...
by dagger906 / March 11, 2005 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: Had similar problem

All the late version Windows Media Players often have problems because it has a web interface. Not the plugin, but rather the player itself has capacity to browse websites, but unlike browsers, doesn't have any protection against malware. It's a big security risk. The thing downloads all kinds of viruses. Get rid of it. After you uninstall it, download and install this:

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?