Mac OS forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer for Macs

by C3 / April 8, 2006 10:50 AM PDT

I'm in the unenviable position of needing to run IE on my i-Mac (OS X 10.4.5) for work. I downloaded the latest IE version for Mac (5.2.3), but it doesn't load, i.e., I get the beach ball of death. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer for Macs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer for Macs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried any other Browsers?
by kevkal63 / April 8, 2006 9:56 PM PDT

Hi Dan,

Have you tried using any other browsers to try and complete you task? E.g Firefox or Safari? These provide a much better service and can cater for most of your browsing needs.

The problem you have is that In June 2003, the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit announced that Internet Explorer for Mac would undergo no further development, and support would cease in 2005. In accordance with published support lifecycle policies, Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer for Mac on December 31st, 2005, and is not providing any further security or performance updates.

Accordingly, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac was no longer available for download from Microsoft. Therefore you maybe trying to open a dead application. I strongly advice trying to find another application as your browser, as help for I.E is no longer around.

Hope this helps,

Jacktaylor747

Collapse -
Internet Explorer for Mac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 11:45 PM PDT

Just because M$ ceased support for IE for Mac, they did not, as seems to have been suggested, reach out and magically prevent IE for Mac from launching on your machine.
I have IE on my 10.4.6 machine and it launches just fine. Well it did just now, I don't actually use it for anything other than configuring my Linksys Router which does not do the biz with Safari.

What you may have is a corrupt install of IE but first there are a couple of things you can try.
First, make sure that you are launching IE from the actual application and not from the .DMG file that has an icon like a small HD.
Repair the permissions is the next step. Go to the Disk Utility and run it.
Now try IE.
If nothing changed, find your .dmg file of IE, trash the one in the applications folder and reinstall it.
See if you can find another .dmg file of IE, on another machine, that you can use. Downloading it again is also an option.
If all this fails, there are a couple of alternate browsers you can try. I guess your company has access to a site that only works with IE and probably only with IE 6 and above.

P

Collapse -
IE for Macs
by C3 / April 19, 2006 6:21 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I've found another way to go that doesn't require IE.

Dan

Collapse -
IE for Mac
by Bluebonnet / April 20, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

I tried to download IE for my new Mac (have it on the older one) and MS website said it no longer supports IE for the Mac (stop date was Dec. 31, 2006) and it wasn't available for download.

Collapse -
Keep looking
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 20, 2006 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: IE for Mac

You will probably find a copy of it on another Mac site. I doubt CNET Downloads has it but try a google for it.
I just did that and it does not seem to be available from anywhere.
However, if you are running OSX and still have the earlier versions of the Installation disk, you can find IE 5 for MAC on there.
It is also on the OS 9 Install CD's but that is not for OS X

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!