HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet explorer crash/winspool conflict?

by cjsilwood / March 31, 2004 6:54 PM PST

(Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222 A)

Every time I try to update either Windows or Internet Explorer I get as far as "100%" and then a crash, with the message:
"Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Details:
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: winspool.drv
ModVer: 4.10.0.1998 Offset: 000016c3

I have tried the recommended remedies, i.e. remove anti-virus software, include the WinMe version spoolss.dll, but to no avail. I have had a similar problem recently with print queuing but rectified that with the software removal.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet explorer crash/winspool conflict?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet explorer crash/winspool conflict?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Work-around.
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2004 8:27 PM PST

Use windows-update to find out what critical updates you need. Then download them the normal way from Microsoft, and run them.

This is the site for Windows 98: http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp
IE security patches can be obtained from download.microsoft.com

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Work-around.
by cjsilwood / March 31, 2004 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Work-around.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the problem arises when any of the update procedures are run!

Chris

Collapse -
Clear now.
by Kees Bakker / April 1, 2004 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Work-around.

Chris,

I already wondered what the '100%' was, but now I understand. It's strange, windowsupdate doesn't print at all, so an error in the spool is rather unexplainable.

If this is the only problem you experience, I think I wouldn't advice to format the hard disk and reinstall Windows. Just see what you can do without Windowsupdate. But if you think otherwise, you may.

For IE, it's simple: the latest cumulative patch (which is all you need) can be downloaded from download.microsoft.com.

For Windows 98, order the Critical Patches cd. See http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=12316&start=0
There are not many new patches for this old OS, so an occasional visit to the corporate site from by previous post might be sufficient.

For MS Office (which isn't included in Windowsupdate, I think) visit the download section of office.microsoft.com

However, you write about replacing a file with an ME version. Did you read this: http://www.tek-tips.com/gpviewthread.cfm/qid/399020/pid/615/lev2/67/lev3/70 ?
It is a rather similar problem (66%, not 100%), and it says the solution is to restore the windows 98 version of the file, not the windows me version. Which doesn't seem a bad idea to me.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.